Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rattle can paint on parts... clear coat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jun 5, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am painting my steering arms / tie rod /drag link with some rattle can interior/exterior krylon paint. Do you guys who paint parts put a clear coat over the top or...? I'd like the finish to be relatively durable (at least, as durable as a rattle can paint job can be!).

j

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

spray can clear??

Most all the "spray can" clear enamels I've used didnt help much--they turn yellow,crack,or just wear off quickly...I used it mostly to add gloss to "dull" areas when I rattle canned a paint job on my truck,to help it look more uniform,instead of blotchy...

I think you'd be better off using Epoxy paint,like the stuff for appliances like refigerators,washing machines,etc..some "wheel" paint is Epoxy too..its the next best thing to Imron or other Polyurethane paints with hardener,without the cost,or having to use a spray gun..POR-15 is another good alternative,it lasts a long time as long as the sun doesn't shine on it..(no UV resistance)..

I've heard "Hammerite" paint is tough stuff too,but I havent used it myself yet..I think they sell it in Lowe's and Home Depot,and most hardware stores.. :crazy:

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i use black rustoleum for everything.
    i clean the surface real good and get any wax and grease off,give it 2-3 coats and it has held up just fine for a couple of years

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

guess I'll skip on the top coating then. I finally decided to add a little bling to my rig, all my cool non-hot parts, cage, bumpers etc are going to be krylon true blue. Everything else is gonna stay black. When they get beat up, I'll just touch things up with more rattle can action. :) anyway, thanks for the responses,

j

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Auto parts stores usually carry paint for brake calipers. It acts as primer and top coat and is pretty durable. I painted some parts with it 2-3 years ago and they still look pretty good.