Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattle can paint to mach stock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

So I have these 2 nice RED doors (barn doors) that I would like to put on my Desert Tan 'Burb. Any one know if I can get the '80s desert tan in a rattle can? And if so what brand, where?

2. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I think autozone carries some paint cans with factory color codes. Duplicolor is the brand I believe.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pepboys carries factory colors too, but it's only going to come close. You probably already realize that the rattle can stuff is never an exact match.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe..

My C10 was repainted a stock GM color called "Desert Beige"..might be the same as "Tan"??...anyway,my doors had a company logo on them I had to wet sand off--E-Z Off Oven Cleaner was lifting ALL the paint off,so I decided to wet sand and repaint them...

I found Rustoleum rattle can color called "Sand" was a perfect match!..even my body shop friends who rag on me constantly about what a hack I am when it comes to bodywork,were impressed!:D ..they didn't even believe I'd used spray cans!..

I've found a Rustoleum color that is either perfect match,or "close enough" at Home Depot or Lowe's for nearly every vehicle I have. owned...(I could use a Marron/ Cranberry color for my 82 K20 at the moment!..got primer all over the door bottoms and around the gas tank doors!)...it takes Rustoleum awhile to fully dry,but I've had excellent results using it in the warmer weather,without runs or other problems..it stays "soft" for a week or two before it fully hardens--dont wax it right way..

One other alternative if rattle cans aren't a good match,is to have a body shop supply store mix a pint or quart of the right color and buy a "Pre-Val" Sprayer..its a glass bottle with a disposeable sprayer top /gas cartridge thing that screws on,it has a nozzle just like a rattle can on top..you can buy extra cartridges so you can paint both doors..they actually last quite a while for their size..we used to sell lots of them at the auto parts/paint stores I worked at..

Most people dont have compressors or paint guns who want to do touch ups or panel repairs..it was a decent alternative to sending it to a body shop,or having to find someone to paint it for you.. :crazy:

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I will check out the rustoliem "Sand" and check @ Schmucks and see what I can come up with.
    Thanks guys:smile1:

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if you go to an auto paint store, you can have them mix the color code from GM and put it inside a spray can.