Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattle can the top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey guys, my black top is really quite faded. at first i was considering herculining it, but its a pain to clean that. what about spray painting it? i think a couple peopl have done it on here. how does it work out when u try to clean it with a brush? does it flake off?

if not rattle can, then what should i do? i wanna do it cheap obviously.

thanks guys

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well the problem with rattle can paint (IMHO) is that its not very durable,,. at all..

and is mostly difficult to apply evenly, and without runs and so forth

would be great if you could borrow a spray gun real quick from an aquaintence

or maybe get a wal mart one evne thopugh arent the best but would be better than rattle can, and can get premix paint for cheap from napa aut parts its only 99 a gallon

or could just take to one of those quick car paint places and have them spray it real quick after you prep it(prime, wet sand, repeat, and tape off)

3. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

HERCULINE IT!
    I did mine when I had liner left over from doing the inside of my k5. it was easy prep on the top....rough it up, wipe it down with xylene, tape it off and roll it on. takes about as long as painting it properly. looks great too

gabe :D

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I rattle canned my top flat white about 6 years ago. It was already white and when it got wet it would leave nasty white streaks down side of truck that were a pain to clean off. All I did was clean and mask off before I sprayed. Looked OK when I was done. Of course the rest of the Blazer was rattle can satin black. But it looked tuff with black steal wheels. It was an improvement over the silver with grey primer paint with BLAZER decals on the door. The thing was a pain to smog so I got rid of it and now have a 73 K20 with the original ugly green paint and white wagon wheels. :wink1:

5. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

Someone on here in an old thread I found in a search said they epoxy resin coated their top.. and I don't know if they painted over that or what.. but I think that sounds like the nicest finish and it would seal it.. my top is real porous.. i don't think paint would even hold on it. i think they said it was marine epoxy. I guess you brush it on.. then sand it then brush it on again. Not sure though.. so don't just listen to me. :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I rattle canned what's left of the hardtop I cut down to use for my soft-top. It seems to be on there pretty good. I only did it a couple of weeks ago, so i don't know how it will hold up long term. I still have my regular hardtop, and I only painted this one so it would blend a little better with my K5 when the soft-top is off (it was primer gray). So, it's not like I needed to a great job on it. Once I get a chance to finish the soft-top, I'll know if it's going to hold up or not.
    [​IMG]

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I rattle canned my white a while back. It holds up fine. I run mud alot too. Dont use cheap spray paint use that walmart crap and you will get a crappy finish use at least Krylon and just make sure your top is clean.

8. johnnyclueless

johnnyclueless Registered Member

Just clean it real well - order some por 15 hardnose paint and slap it on. This stuff is extremely durable and they have a ton of colors.

9. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

I just got done painting whats left of my top with a base coat clear coat set up, that's all I'll ever use. As long as you get it clean clean you should be fine with whatever you do but I would recomend topping it with a good couple coatsl of clear. that will seal it and keep it nice and shiny. borrow a hvlp gun if you can and get some paint and clear not that expensive and be done with it.