Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattle can

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Apr 29, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Pics of rattle canned trucks and blazers. Lots o pics. All you do is sand, tape, and then paint right?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

after you sand it you should take a cloth with thinner on it and wipe down the whole area to be painted then paint it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

How far do I need to sand it

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I would say down to the primer but I am not an experienced painter. I sanded down to the primer on mine and had no problems so far. Just touch up jobs though /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just did mine with flat black... only got the front clip done so far...... I just sand everything smooth, then throw on some primer and sand again then paint...... When you go to the store to get your paint.. Hit up the cleaning supplies area, and take a Few caps off of some glass cleaner.. it sprays about a 3-4 inch diameter circle, instead of a 1 inch dia. circle.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Check my webshots link below. It's a camo paint job done by the past owner..needs /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif a touchup

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just wiped down my truck with a damp rag and painted. Worked fine. I didn't want to sand it. The paint has the body sealed. I didn't want to go down to primer and risk exposing the trucks metal to rust. Not to mention it was too much trouble....

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Here is mine it was primered gray when i bought so I just sanded it down smooth then painted. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I'd start with a good pressure wash, to remove dirt & grime, this will prevent from rubbing these things into the old paint. Then wipe down with a pre-cleaner (thinner) to remove oils, grease, silicones, super-sauces (Armor-all, etc.), sand or scotchbrite enough to scuff the surface paint, to give it "teeth" for new surface to "bite" into. Scuff first, paper & tape last just prior to painting (helps from sanding your taped edges & trapping sanding dust in your masking materials).

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make sure you wet sand the primer before painting it. If you have any rough edges make sure oyu featheredge them. In other words your hand should glide over the whole body and not feel any roughness throughout the whole body. I have used rustoleum primer with good results. Before your ready to paint you will need to clean the surface with a degreaser of some sort. I use this stuff from 3M that you can pick up at a parts store, just for degreasing your vehicle before you paint.

If you want a professional look, remove all handles and bezels before taping. Only thing I tape up is windows. If you get any overspray anywhere you can use thinner to remove it.
    Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Thank all of you for the tips I planning this real soon. I am tired of my Truck being multiple colors.

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Have you decided what color you're going to paint it?

13. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

No any suggestions? I am deciding between flatblack or actually taking the time to paint it a color. Rims are black and that is the only thing set. All my accents are chevy blue (calipers, skidplate, t case, tierod, etc soon the roll cage ,when i get one) what do you think will go good. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

How do you all keep from having spray lines?
    Also has anyone ever put a coat of clear on top of the spray paint paint job.

15. bigyellowjimmy

For a rattle can job black, white or camo seems to be the most popular, Im not sure how well a color would hold up to fading. Ive always liked black myself because when you get slight surface rust from stone chips it doesnt show like with white. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So you say sand it one or two coats of primer sand it and then some flatblack. Or gloss black. Im not doing the camo thing.

17. bigyellowjimmy

Sounds good to me. I painted the lower 1/4 of my 70 flat black, the rest is original yellow, looks good. I just sanded slightly, primered and painted. Flat black doesnt run easily.

18. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Good deal then thats what I will do. Do you have any pics

Does anyone have pics of flat black rigs?