Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattle in front end, UPDATED!, Still need opinions!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Batmanjr, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Need opinions prior to tearing down my 6.2L! I have a jingle, like a bearing does when it goes out, coming from the lower front of my engine! It's not my axle, cause the truck doesn't have to move to hear it! It started as an occasional thing, but now it's everyday! If the truck is in idle, it won't jingle, once you rev the engine around 1000-1500 rpms, it starts to jingle real loud, if you stomp on it, No jingle! I don't think it's the timing chain....
    I cut the A/C belt off and the jingle died down to almost nill. It still only happens at certain rpms, but now it's a lot more faint! I don't think the A/C compresor would rattle that much, but I'm almost tempted to take the compresor off to see if it gets rid of it entirely! What do you all think? What pullies attached to that belt could cause such a noise? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Re: Rattle in front end, need opinions!

Are you sure it's from the front of the engine? A broken flexplate does the same thing. Sounds can be sneaky like that.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Re: Rattle in front end, need opinions!

Yeah, I'm sure, and mine has a flywheel. It sounds like a bearing is loose and if I recognized it, it wouldn't be this simple!

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

More info Added, Back to the Top! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Probably part of the clutch mechanism rattling, every once in a while I see this on cars when I replace alternators and Im making sure everything is working OK. I would just leave the compressor on, no sense it taking it off unless youre trying to save some weight.

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, it's not the weight, it's the annoying tinglt tingle going down the road mixed with the long travel ahead unsure what the heck is going on in there!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Had the same thing one time and found a clamp for a hose was loose and was jingling. Check for that first before tearing anything else apart. I know it sounds simple but there are a LOT of little clamps and such that could work its way loose. Good Luck.

8. civicucv

civicucv Registered Member

Spent the day under the hood of my truck today. When all of my work was completed, I fired it up with the hood up to check for leaks, etc... Noticed quite a bit of rattle on top of the usual diesel rattle. Narrowed it down to my AC compressor. The belt was getting a little loose and flopping around quite a bit due to regular use and stretch (probably need a new clutch soon, too). Shut the ac down and the belt settled down and rattle was no more. Need to adjust the belt. I have found in the past that a piece of hose, or better yet, a stethoscope can really narrow down the noisy culprits under the hood. As RLBstein noted, your noise is likely a loose clamp, or fastener, or just contact between two mounted items. By the way, your stethoscope will quickly turn into foreceps if you get it wrapped up in one of the belts. OUCH!

9. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Check your ps pump bracket. When I bought my Jimmy, the ps pump bracket had one broken tab and one spread open adjuster. The slide adjuster that is on the block to the left of the pump someone had tightened down so far the metal spread open and was rattling against the block. A couple of washers fixed that until I secured a new bracket.

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'm going to check that out tomorrow, trying to get to FL. but I just keep putting more time into 3/4 ton axles!!!!! Holy Cow that took a lot of work!!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Yup. Check all the cheap stuff first!

I had a rattle similar to what you described, and it turned out it was some brackets used for the A/C. A/C was blown anyways, so I ripped it ALL out. Now I've got tons of room to work, and better air flow across the radiator. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif