Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattlecan paintjob question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Apr 20, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

How many cans did it take you to paint your whole truck? Im kindof thinking about doing it to mine because the pretty paint is starting to look like crap now that it have a few trail markes on it. Im also thinking about taking it to Mako and getting a cheap paintjob done on it. What are yalls opinions?

LMK
    Nick

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Rattlecan....Not sure on the quantity.

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I used 3 on my old Explorer... But I did a half ass job... sanded the whole thing... Put 4 layers on the hood and fenders, 2 layers of clear coat... Then I got pissed off one day because my truck had looked the same (only front 1/3 painted) for about 4 months, so I just took a can of spray paint and did a layer on the rest of the truck except the roof... Didn't do any clear or anything, just a layer... It looked alright... It could've looked better if I didn't have to paint it in the wind every time I went out to do it, but at least my truck was mostly one color and I was happy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

That depends alot on what kind of paint you buy, and what color you are painting and what color you are covering up. If you are buying the .99 flat black paint from Home Depot and just want 1 good coat, I did my truck w/ about 7-8 cans the first time I did it, and I was painting flat black over gray primer. Hope this helps at all.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

You gotta be sure it's what you want though... I took my Explorer to about 5 body shops about a month before the brakes went bye bye and all the other stuff happened and I traded it in... Not one of them would paint my truck because they didn't have the right equipment to remove the spray paint, and the kind of paint they use would cause a chemical reaction with the spray paint and make it look ugly and rippled...

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Last winter I took the doors off my Jimmy and re-painted them, now its spring and the rust is coming through again. Should I use primer before? I thought I did but I guess I forgot /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I seem to remember in the 10-15 can range.

Also depends on how many coats you do. I opted for several coats of Wal-Mart Blue and White 94 cent/can spray paint on my '80 GMC.
    [​IMG]

On my Orange/Black Blazer, I even prepped the body by wiping the dirt off with an old blanket I found, then I sprayed it with the same Wal-Mart brand stuff. Probably 8-10 cans on it.
    [​IMG]

The nice thing about rattlcan jobs is you can do a section at a time, and not have to worry about getting it all done and perfect all at once.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I used 8 cans of flat black that you get at home depot and I think it looks really sweat for a spray can but the most important thing that you need to buy is one of those $2.00 things that go on top of the can that uses a trigger, I bought one and it made me paint alot better and plus no sore finger.Here is a pic of my truck.
    [​IMG]

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My friend Jay sprayed this stuff on my Exploder's rust that supposedly turned it from rust to primer... I don't know if it worked or not, I didn't keep the truck long enough to really care... But yeah, you should sand it up, wash it off, and put some rustoleum primer on it... That's a step that I didn't bother with, I wasn't going for the nice pretty look, I was going for the all one color so my Explorer would at least be somewhat presentable again look... However, I don't think I ever achieved that. It was presentable until about a month after I bought it... that's when the bumper came off... Then I put on a bunch of stickers... Then I sanded it... Then I spray painted it... Then Bob and I put a factory roof rack on it... Then I put my spare tire on the roof... Then the roof rack started falling off /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif so I tied it down with some bright yellow rope and duct tape and put the tire in the back yard...

yeah that was a sweet truck, till everything broke... I got $500 trade in on it though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Your paint job looks really nice... I wish I would've thought of the trigger thing, my finger was killing me after about ten minutes of spraying...

Here are some pics of my Explorer before and after painting:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/52543991/52544067lMcZzY <-- When I bought it... You can see my old Scout in the background.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/52543991/74796170UpzRRR <-- After I painted the front end... My truck won an award with this setup: Third Place, Ugly Truck Division at the Ft. Collins 4x4 show 2003.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/52543991/88947533ehdEXs <-- Finished product, with roof rack and tire on the roof

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

six cans for this <--. and one for each fender. engine enamel it's thicker so it might take a scratch better. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I used to have a Baja that I used to play in the desert with and I rattle canned it. The cool part is when the scratches got to bad I just went in the garage and grabbed the appropriate color (I had a fancy pantsy tri-color paint scheme) and the masking tape and some newspaper and what do ya know, new lookin paint again.

Just a thought to throw in here.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I did two complete coats and then three on the grill and stuff up front that takes the brunt of trail travel. I got about 30 cans into it. I did it because I thought it would be cheaper. Didn't work out that way. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Should have taken it to a friends house with a cup gun and blasted it in a quarter of the time. Glad i did it though. Quite the experience.

14. konfederitk5

konfederitk5 Newbie

Took me 17 cans on my 77, the wide fan-spray types do a better job. My 84 I did with a real HVLP gun and a quart of farm and fleet flat black. Saved alotta money on that deal.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

if your doing a color change use a flat color as a base then a gloss over it (or a second coat of flat if you want flat). After the flat base coat goes on, use 2-3 cans and spray the jams (I wouldn't worry to much about getting the flat in the jams since one on will see them real close, just scuff it down). Once all the jams are done start doing thin layers of the gloss. Should be about a can per panel. (so 8 flats, 8 gloss, 2-3 more gloss for the jams)

Scuff down the whole vehicle with alcohol and one of those poly brillo pads, including the jams. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

cool thanx xfor the info guys. Ill let you know if I go ahead and do it.

Nick