Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rattling sound from under jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevycanada, Sep 21, 2001.

1. chevycanada

chevycanada Registered Member

I have noticed i am getting a rattling sound coming from under the truck. It sounds as if its coming from the transmission or the back of the engine but its hard to tell for sure. I asked a couple people what they thought and they figured somthign with the tranny. Only thing is it does it when its in park and moving and the tranny seems to be shifting and running fine.
    Any Ideas would help alot
    thanks

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Check your exhaust... like the cat if you have one, pipes and muffler.... the hangers bust or come loose and then it makes a very annoying rattle...

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    <>< MARK 1:17 ><>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just turn the stereo up :) It sounds like you exhaust it hitting somewhere on the frame. If its not that then it could be you cat exploded and the parts are rattling around in there. They wont come out because there is a screen on each end of the cat. If it broke the screen out then it can go into the muffler and it will get wedged in there. If thats the case then you would need to replace the muffler also.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Another thing to look at: the heat shield between the cat and floorpan. Mine broke a spot weld and made all kinds of noise.

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well my Canadian jimmy also has a rattle coming from underneath. Its had the rattle for over 4 years...sounds like a chain rattling around. I have replaced my entire drivetrain, some parts twice, exhaust twice, 90% of the body, the entire interior, in those 4 years and have never managed to locate that rattle. So I installed a better stereo...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've had that same stupid heatshield rattling - I wadded up a piece of canvas and stuffed it under it, and that shut it up. One of these days I'll actually crawl under there and take it off[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Same here. Sounds like a little doggie chain hanging from somewhere right above idle like taking off from a stop light. "ching aling and ding" then it goes away. I haven't replaced the exhaust yet, but all the drivetrain is replaced.
    I think its as the gremlin

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Iv got a rattle inside my tranny in park.Its done this since I bought it.Theres not a bunch of metal in the pan and it works good so Im not worried about it .

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

9. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Canvas? Man, in Phoenix you'd spontaneously combust! Watch out you don't get a fire someday...

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It's no worry - the cat is nothing but a bad memory, and the exhaust is a good distance away from it. Otherwise I'd a stuffed a chunk of Nomex under there[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

11. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

If you are concerned about it being your tranny do the old piece of broom handle to yer ear to the offending part and listen trick. This should help to determine whether it is the tranny or not. I hope it is a heat shield.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Fill out your profile, my Canadian brother!!!!!![​IMG]

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>