Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattling tailgate fix!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, May 22, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was tired of my wife complaining about my rattling tailgate. I went to the dealer and got a price of 48.00 for a new gasket. I promptly went to Pep Boys and bought a few feet of 3/8ths fuel line, scraped off the old gasket, spread some liquid nails down and laid the fuel line in the old gaskets place. Somehow I was able to slam the gate shut without the new "gaskets" coming out of place. When they dried I cut a small piece of line length wise and made a shim every few inches to make the "gasket" fatter and glued them in place. It works great. The wife is happy, and a happy wife makes me happy. Happy? Hell yeh I'm happy! (sorry the kids are cranking the Beatles are on the cd player) the bee ools!

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

2. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

that fix sure beats the 48 bucks for the gasket. i fixed all my tailgate problems with a tailgate off i think it was a 74-74 pickup.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

How is your wind shield coming along?

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

4. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

its in the shop.