Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rattling tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any suggestions for tightening up the tailgate? Recently, mine has decided to bounce around a lot, making annoying racket. It's not all the time, mostly when hitting decent sized bumps.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

manual or electric?
    Anyways, pull off the access panel int eh back, there are some black foam peices on the opening bars, move them around that might be the most of it.
    Once you have the panel off smack the tailgate a few times and see if you can pinpoint the rattle.
    mine rattles because there no outside glass weather stripping on the plow truck!

3. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    manual or electric?

[/ QUOTE ]

Electric.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyways, pull off the access panel int eh back, there are some black foam peices on the opening bars, move them around that might be the most of it.
    Once you have the panel off smack the tailgate a few times and see if you can pinpoint the rattle.
    mine rattles because there no outside glass weather stripping on the plow truck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Which weatherstripping? The stuff that is mounted in the hardtop? Mine has recently started coming loose, but I couldn't think of why that would cause the rattling. If it did, it would have always rattled when the glass was down.

4. Mastiff

Actually, I can just grab the tailgate while closed and shake it and feel the rattling since it's very loose. What normally makes it tight? Is it the rubber weathstripping and the rubber pieces at the base of the hard top?

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Do you live in a place that gets lots of snow/salt on the roads? (profile location would help /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). If you do then your tailpan may be rusted out. The tailpan is where the hinges mount to. Make sure the both hinges are tight and all the bolts for the hinges are tight. Also, make sure the latches are operating correctly and closing all the way. The weatherstripping that goes around the inside of the tailgate helps keep it from making noise when it moves back and forth, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

6. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you live in a place that gets lots of snow/salt on the roads? (profile location would help /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). If you do then your tailpan may be rusted out. The tailpan is where the hinges mount to. Make sure the both hinges are tight and all the bolts for the hinges are tight. Also, make sure the latches are operating correctly and closing all the way. The weatherstripping that goes around the inside of the tailgate helps keep it from making noise when it moves back and forth, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have been more specific when I said "a lot" of play in the tailgate. When it's just sitting there with the window down, I can move it about a quarter inch (or maybe a little less) each way. If I push in it squishes against the rubber seal and if I pull, it hits the latch (that's the noise). There is no significant rust anyplace.

Maybe I should just replace the rubber seal and see if that solves it? It'd sure be nice if there was just a bumpstop to replace, but it appears there aren't any after 1981.

The truck is now in Iowa by the way, but it spent it's first 15 years in Phoenix, so is still pretty pristine.

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

mine did that until i adjusted the latches on each side. just losten the 2 bolts on each latch, move it slightly foreward (towards the front of the truck) and re-tighten the bolts, then try shutting the gate. if it doesn't shut back them off a little bit. just use the trial and error method until it's tight /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif anyways, that's what worked for mine.

8. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    mine did that until i adjusted the latches on each side. just losten the 2 bolts on each latch, move it slightly foreward (towards the front of the truck) and re-tighten the bolts, then try shutting the gate. if it doesn't shut back them off a little bit. just use the trial and error method until it's tight /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif anyways, that's what worked for mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it make your tailgate sit in a little and not line up with the rest of the body? I was thinking of adjusting those strikers, but that's what held me back.

9. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. Where did you adjust? I looked at the striker things on the truck side, they look like they should be adjustable, but turns out they don't have much room to move at all (like less than a quarter inch) and they are all the way in anyway. Is that what you adjusted?

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Yes, the strikers are what I adjusted. I would try to open up the holes a little more and see if that helped. Unless there's something wrong with the tail gate itself that's about the only adjustment I can think of. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif