Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RCI aluminum fuel cells and AN fittings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

If anyone has used one, I have a question - Are the fittings that they come with just threaded into bungs that are welded to the tank, or are male AN-8 fittings actually welded to it?

Also, does anyone know if thread sizes on AN fittings correspond to any other type of fitting? I know the taper is specific, but on say, an 8 -AN sized bung do you have to use an AN fitting or is the thread the same as the threads on another type of fitting, if that makes any sense?

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

i currently have a summit racing brand aluminum cell (rci) the fitting are all male 8an fittings pretty sure you have to use an to seal proper for the compression fitting!

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The fittings on most true fuel cells are bulkhead fittings with sealing washers, there will be a nut on the inside. So ALWAYS back up the cell fitting when attaching/detaching the plumbing. The welded aluminum fuel tanks sold as 'fuel cells' usually have their fittings welded on.

AN fittings share all the dimensions of the JIC fitting series. Those are the ONLY interchangeable fitting. Anything else requires an adapter. JIC fittings are sized by the same standard, -3, -6, -8 etc. They are bacisally AN fittings except that they come in brass and plated steel instead of aluminum. My local industrial/hydrualic plumbing supply house carries the JIC fittings. There seems to be more variety of adapters and hose types used in the JIC fittings. My two favorites are the "Push-Lok" hose ends and the "Hanson" re-useable hose ends. The Push-loks are a barbed hose end that do NOT need a hose clamp. Perfect for banishing hose clamps from the fuel system.
    The re-useables are used on a hose (HO66) that way outperforms braided stainless in every aspect except one, bend radius.