Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RE: 4WD Conversion to 2WD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by conv76jimmy, Mar 21, 2000.

1. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a website that shows a step by step of a conversion of making a 4wd blazer into a 2wd. And I know you are all die hard 4-Wheeler but some of us just LOVE the blazers but are Hot Rodders. So this is the only way we can get some of both worlds.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If you want a 2 wheel drive blazer they are out there and it is cheaper on insurance. If you take the t-case and front driveshaft out of yours they will still charge you as it a 4x4 due to the VIN numbers is what the go by.. May want to look for those two wheeler C-5's.....

<font color=red>C<font color=green>'<font color=blue>m<font color=orange>o<font color=purple>e

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I haven't run across a website for the conversion, but I know a couple of guys have done it. Mainly with '70-'72 models due to 2WDs being so hard to find. It seems pretty straight forward. Remove all the 4WD stuff and pretty much bolt up a 2WD front cross member. I think the old models just need one new hole per side drilled in the frame. I like my '74 2WD and I looked for along time to find one. Good luck! Email me if I can help.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. 1badgmc

1badgmc Registered Member

I'm currently in the process of doing a conversion from 4x4 to 2wd on my '84 Jimmy. You can just go find you a 2wd front crossmember and swap it out that way, but that's not how I'm doing it. I found a complete '84 2wd frame for $500. They had already snagged all the front suspension pieces so they clipped a '91 Suburban for the front suspension. I got it home and we just swapped the crossmembers and that's it. I'm going ahead and doing a complete frame-swap because there are some other problems and concerns with my 4x4 frame that I just did not want to deal with. If I might be able to help in any way, just let me know. I'm no expert, but I'll do what I can.

5. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to have the insurance company to see that it is no longer 4x4 to get cheaper rates? I hate paying rates for something I don't have. My cousin had a simular situation w/ his mustang, he had the 4cyl and the rate was the same as a 5.0 lx model. They wnet w/ the model(mustang) and not the equipment. Just another insurance scam.

6. 1badgmc

1badgmc Registered Member

Man, I honestly don't have a clue about that. I haven't done any looking into it yet. I have thought about it some, but I've been more concerned with the actual project itself that I haven't bothered to check into it.