Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?Re-Calibrating TBI computer for new engine.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Nov 6, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Well, Ive got time but I'm trying to get the lowdown on my options. So, I'm thinking of getting either the vortec replacement long block or the new 383 vortec truck engine. Both of these use the roller cam. Instead of getting the costly edelbrock mpi conversion, I'm cosidering the new GM tbi/vortec manifold, edelbrock's unit or getting an adaptor for any vortec manifold. Anyways, has anyone used their tbi on different or modified engines? If so, is there a practical way to recalibrate the ecm or can this thing "learn" on its own. Thanks.

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

For those kinda mods, the computer won't learn how to run it. It is possible for you to recalibrate it yourself if you want to get an eprom burner/eraser and some cheap software you can make it better than anyone could imagine. Otherwise, you will have to settle for a chip from a TPIS or AZspeed-marine or howell chip, which will not match your setup exactly. It is possible that when GM comes out with the TBI/vortec intake that they will also come out with new chip calibrations for OEM replacememnt apps (like the 502 truck engine does).

An yes, burning your own chip is practical.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Where can I get more info concerning burning chips and the software required?

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Jegs has a complete Tbi unit for a little over 600$ complete 750CFM it is perfect for 350ci to 400ci and a Tbi will adjust itself to conditions thats what a O2 sensor is for a larger motor will run leaner and it will richen it according to input.

5. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I am running a 383 in my 90 with the stock TBI. You will need a new chip unless you like staring at the service engine soon light. The sensors don't know what is going on and the computer will not learn with that much change. I got a chip from Howell Engine Developments. About $120, they take all your specs from trans and gears to all the cam specs. You can also tell them if you want it set up for low end torque or max speed. Works great on my application. They also have larger CFM TBI setups if you want more fuel.
    Good Luck.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]