Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-converting back to a true 1-ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 16, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I robbed the Dana 60 out of our '87 1-ton Utility Bed plow truck, and put a Dana 44 under it.

Last winter, I destroyed the Dana 44. Now, I'm wanting to find another 60 to put back in it.

Considering the truck will run 33" tires (max) during the summer, and only snowplows, who thinks a Dana 60 is overkill, and who thinks the 44 is underkill?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

How did you kill the Dana 44? The Dana 60 would support the weight of a big block (only a guess but I think I know you that well /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and heavy plow better while being abused pushing snow.

3. mountainexplorer

Well, I suppose hill climbing with it with the plow on aided in the gears getting destroyed. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

But, I put another Dana 44 that I had under there a week later. It was in really good shape, then after plowing out the rest of the season, ball joints are already getting some wear.

I'm just thinking, while I have the motor out and it's apart, throw another 60 back under it so its a true 1-ton again.

That or leave it 1/2 1-ton and 1/2 3/4 ton and make some "Silverado 25" emblems for the fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you don't need a d60 to plow snow, i use my 3/4 ton and my dad uses his 1/2 ton. never broke anything. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I like overkill.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Im about to put a 60 under the front of my plow truck. The ten bolt is dead and has already been brought back a couple times. i always manage to break a shaft when im plowing and im sick of it. Id say your about as hard on gear as me, so id put a 60 in it.

7. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Do the right thing and sell your 87 1ton single wheel to me!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif :grin
    What motor and transmission are in the 87?
    Could I interest you in a trade maybe????
    I thought you still have the original D60 for it under your Blazer?, if so my suggestion would be to swap it back under the 87 1ton and get a new D60 for the Blazer.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Last thing I'd ever do is waste a D60 on a plow truck.

If I had one it'd be the most raggedy 3/4 ton I could find with a 4 speed or TH 400.

I have said in the past I would never put a plow on a truck worth more than $1,000.

9. mountainexplorer

The Dana 60 from the '87 Utility Truck went under my Truck Blazer. Then, when I put 4.56's under the truck Blazer, that front end got swapped into the little Crew Cab. So thats where it sits now.

Right now, the Utility bed truck has no motor (had a TBI 454 that started knocking, then I sold it), and has a TH400/205. I need to have the TH400 rebuilt, and drop another carb'd 454 I have into it.

It's not for sale. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm amazed at how useful the utility bed has been with all the storage boxes and such, and the rack.

Even though I know a 60 is probably overkill, theres a part of me that just wants it to be a true 1-ton again. Just for the fact of it being one. Or maybe it's all part of my overall scheme to put a Dana 60 under everything I own, and thereby draining the Eastern Wa. Dana 60 population by 10%.

I also understand the concept of having a beater low bucks truck for plowing, but this one has kind of spoiled me... with doors that actually have rubber seals and a floor you don't have water spraying at you through. And even a radio and a heater! It's really high class for me. Plus, when I start my business, I want it to be a decent looking rig so its fairly presentable and useful for work all year round.

Eventually I want a second plow to just leave at the property to plow with only. That truck I wouldn't want over $600 in to.