Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-did my dual batteries

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bugspray, Jun 20, 2005.

1. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I didn't want to set up my dual batteries with isolators because I've heard about them leaving people stranded. Luck has it that I set them up originally in parallel and had the alternator fry on me. The batteries fried on me too before I knew it. Me, the 3 year old, and 6 year old hiked about 1-2 miles to a main dirt road for my wife to come rescue us. 3 hours later, fresh battery, and new alternator and drove her out.

Make a long story short, I walked across the street from work to the marine shop and bought a battery switch. I just finished putting it all together.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/375067020XsmjeF

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

What size alternator are you running?

3. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Right now it's just the stock autozone replacement one. I'm not sure what amp rating it is. It's a vortec 350 out of a 97 Yukon. So far it's seemed to have kept up with everything.

4. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

My boat has a stock 55 amp alt and has no problem charging 2 deep cycle marine batteries. Both directly connected with a continuous duty solenoid that disconnects them when the engine is shut off.
    Sound like a bum alt to begin with in your case.

5. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

The original alternator lasted me 1 1/2 years, and it came with the engine, complete, from a junkyard. I wasn't surprised that it fried.