Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re: differential problems after lift and 35"tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rastaska, Apr 17, 2000.

1. rastaska

rastaska Registered Member

Re: differential problems after lift and 35\"tires

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me, I have an 86 Chevy Blazer (K5), recently I put a 6" lift with 35" tires (put on by "4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers") and I have only had them on for two months. I don't drive it that much (about 50 miles a week MAX) , well I was driving out of a parking lot and I heard this loud bang (i was going about 35mph). I got and out and my first impression was that it was my engine or tranny. My mechanic ruled out that it was not my engine and it is the Differential. He recommended that I take it back to 4 wheel parts to fix it (still pending) . I was wondering what you thought of the situation? Should I have replaced the proper parts in my differential, before getting the lift kit and new tires? Did the size of the tires cause the gears in my rear diff or gears to break?? Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    Steve

2. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

HMMMMM, I would like to know the same, because I'm getting ready to put a 6" with 35's on my Jimmy and I'm getting mine from 4 Wheel Parts in OKC. I want to see some answers to this question. Sorry I didn't have an answer to the question.

"Crutch" Huckins
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am just making a guess from what you said.
    What kinda rear end do you have?
    I would guess that your diff. had some weak spots or stress cracks in it and now with the extra load and weight on it that is all it needed to go Kaboom!!
    If your runin 6"lift on 35" tires and your rear end is a 10bolt.....well you may what to drive very light footed untill you can swap in a D60 or 14bolt!!!!
    good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. rastaska

rastaska Registered Member

Sorry, All I know is that I have a stock 10 bolt (obvious)..um...also what is a "D60" or "14 Bolt" and how much do they cost??

Thanks

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yes, the lovely 10 bolt rear end. Pretty much useless for anything over 33" tires. They like to grenade without warning. I've seen soooo many of them just grenade when driving normally on the road!! A 14 bolt is out of a 3/4 or one ton truck of the same vintage and is pretty much a bolt-in to replace the weak 10 bolt you now have. Good luck!

ken

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the weak problem in the 10 bolts are just the carrier....if u put a locker or a spool (spool is not the best idea) it should be just fine....or at least at strong as a gm 12 bolt.

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

D60= Dana 60
    14bolt = GM Corporate 14bolt
    Both are very stong rearends and can be found under 3/4ton or 1ton donor trucks/suburbans.
    Most of thease are 8lug wheel pattern but you can get them in the 6 lug pattern as well.
    Even if you swap in a GM 12bolt (1/2ton) rear end your still doing better than the weak 10bolt.
    But I was able to Twist/granade a 12bolt and from that I swaped in a Dana60.
    I would try to find a local shop that can show and explain to you the ins and outs of swaping. I know you have had some serious BAD luck with the advise gotten from your loacal 4WheelPartsWholesalers rep.
    Anyhoo Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]