Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-drilling springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Mar 20, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I searched but found nothing regarding the re-drilling of springs. I ask becasue i want to do the 52 swap but dont want to change my wheelbase. Anyone know if this is a posiblity? or is it just a totally bad idea?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

cant redrill springs, weakens them. can run a zero rate to move back 1.5 inches, so wheelbase change is only .5 inch forward.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Lots of folks have re-drilled their ford 57" rear springs to move the axle back about 1 1/2". I don't think there have been any problems. I donno about front springs, though. Go with a zero-rate to move your axle, like ryan said.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

So a 1 1/2 inch zero rate is aceptable then? My idea was just to bolt the 52's in the stock location therfore moving the axel BACK 2 inches, so with a 1.5 zero rate would actually push the axel .5 inch rearword. that should work out right?

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have redrilled several springs never had a problem. but man it sucks drilling springs I mean it really sucks. That said I would do as the others said zero rates or spring relocating deals they make

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just re-drilled the 56" springs I just installed.

It was pretty easy with a drill press, cutting oil and some sharp drills.
    I had to sharpen the drill after each hole.

If I didn't have a drill press, it would have been rough.

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

You'll prolly want to push the axle forward a little to keep your tires out of the firewall. I'd move the front and rear hanger, then use the zero rate to move it back 1.5"

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Well i was tryin to keep quiet about it for fear of beeing flamed... but mabey i just ought to come out with it. I want to do this on my daily driver to get a better ride. I have two shocks at each front wheel, and if i could ook my swayba back up i think i would come up with a smooth, yet stable ride. Thats why i dont wanna change my wheelbase. I dont really care how much flex i have so the firewall wont be an issue. Ive got 4" lift on it now but its almost embarising how bad the ride is. Sooo i figured slap some 52's in there i ought to get a good laid back shackle angle id think? actually now that i think about it it might give me too much of a laid back angle.. i dont know i guess i was just tryin to get the old somthing for nothing.

9. 85k30

85k30 Registered Member

re-drilling springs is not really recommended. but if the old centerbolt hole ends up being still between the ubolts it might be ok. if it is outside the u bolt and not being clamped down between the axle tube and the spring plate it could be an accident waiting to happen.

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'd remove one shock on either side and maybe take a leaf out of the current spring pack. You don't 4 shocks on the front axle, and if you take out the bottom leaf, you should have a less harsh ride.

For the total cost, you might have a set of center pins and some sweat.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

go with a set of custom springs. theyll be better than 52's and bolt right in. i have a set of 6" alcans and they are awsome!:D

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Definitely do custom springs (alcans/ deavers) or probably better would be the tough country easy rides. I hear those things ride pretty darn good. Or if you are set on 52's give kert a call at diy4x.com Hes got the front bracket called the b-52, it will allow you to run 52's and leave your axle in stock location. It actually allows you to change to shackle angle too but as a result your axle will change location. I havent put mine on yet because he discovered that the bracket changed a little in the later years and he had already sent me the bracket he made. I can say one thing though is he is great to deal with and he has sent me a new bracket which will be here in a few days. he definitely takes care of his customers.

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depending on how much you want to go through I think I would just go with the tough country ez rides they do in fact ride great and you bolt them on and go

14. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I love my Tuff Country E-Z Rides! 6" front and 4" rear. Everyone always complements the great ride even on Boggers. I highly recomend them.

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

tough country springs are awsome...until you bolt on custom springs. 6" springs softer than 4" tc's. ride better and flex better. they cpst 2x as much but they ARE worth it!

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

another thing to try is improve your shackle angle. move your mount forward and run a longer schakle this wil GREATLY improve the ride and is very cheap to do!