Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re: DynamicEFI EBL arrived today

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 88-383, Dec 7, 2006.

1. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

I received my EBL today from DynamicEFI:D This is the ECU all the Thirdgen boys favaor. And from what I can tell it now supports dual TBI's or 8 injectors for use with a TPI manifold.

I can't wait till after Xmas to install it and begin tunning with hopes of unleashing even more performance. I'll post pictures if anyone cares to see them.

KM

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're going to love it. Read up on it well so you know what you're doing with it and you'll find it a breeze to use. Apart from the excellent tuning potential, extras like idle bump for OBA, IAT, WB compatability and shift light are great. It even caters for funny gas as well if you're into that!
    Post up when you're tuning and let us know how you get on.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

4. southernspeed

Sooo........? Installed? Tuning?

5. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Haven't installed it just yet, but I have been working on converting as much of my old .bin as practical into the EBL's .bin/format and tables as a starting point.

KM

6. southernspeed

Just remember that the EBL fuel tables work very differently to your old tables. It won't be like for like. If you're installing a wideband then the learn feature is very quick anyway to get you on the right track.

7. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Southern Speed, you're using an EBL also right?

KM

8. southernspeed

Yep, just did 330 miles today breaking in my motor and doing some data logging. I've got a 2000 mile road/wheelin trip coming up in 10 days so I was re-introducing Hiway Lean and EGR today, Ran great but need to tweak BLMs for EGR.
    Love this system!:D

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hijack on: I was over on Thirdgen reading up on the EBL and I am pretty close to getting one but I can not find any info on how it works with an emulator so I can do real time tuning and upload as I am going. I like to idea of flashing rather than clearing and reburning out of the truck. Plus it is less equipment to buy.

Also how do you connect the harness to the EBL? Do you clip the connectors and connect idividual wires to the terminal with the screws on the board?

I have plans to run the edelbrock MPFI conversion for TBI and wonder if the EBL would work for it. I guess I could also send an Email or Phone Dynamic EFI to get my questions answered also eh?:D

Thanks

Ira

10. southernspeed

I use an Ostrich emulator which is brilliant. It plugs in where your chip would plug in. I leave mine there permanently. WBo2 controller is stuck behind the glove box, ECU is in the stock place and the emulator is in the glove box. The lead for the 'whatsup' display/data logging and the ostrich cable are just coiled up in the glove box.
    You can either data log with your laptop conected and keep pulling over and editing the .bin or wait 'till you get home and sit down with a beer and edit it from the confort of your arm chair.
    The EBL is housed in a modified GM ecu case so the factory loom plugs in as normal. Data lead (like a phone cord) plugs in the front as does a WB o2 if you're using one (which I strongly recommend) I use the Zeitronics ZT-2.
    Things like OBA idle bump and shift light, NO2 switching, are all using previously unused pins on the stock loom.
    If you're currently running a '7747 the EBL is almost a plug'n'play job.
    It can power 8 injectors for MPFI but I'm not sure how Edelbrock power their set up.
    To be honest, for the few horsepower you'll gain from MPFI, is it worth the $?
    EBL is so much more tuneable than a '7747 I personally wouldn't go for MPFI unless you really need a massive flow rate like the Accel 1000cfm stuff.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I had planned on running the TBI ot MPFI conversion. Somehow they wire 8 injectors off of the original 4 wires:dunno: . I do know they burn a chip for you but it is burned to only work with stock cam and heads or edlebrock cam and heads or a mixture of the two. I might have to run a modified TBI as I plan on a 355 or a 383. I know big difference and what I do for one wont work for the other.

You guys dont have smog checks on the island do you? Do you see any reason why this would not pass smog other than the obvious if they looked under my dash and in my glovebox:D .

Thanks for the help, the pictures on Dynamic EFI's sight did not show how the harness connected and I did not see the factory style pins.

Ira

12. southernspeed

We don't have a smog test like yours but we have a version of it. Newer vehicles have a very strict test.
    EBL will work on 355 or 383 easily. Just do a retune...no problem.
    Seeing as every aspect of fueling and timing is tuneable you should be able to get it through any test assuming you use a cat? You can command any AFR you like and what ever timing you like for your test in a temporary .bin then just reload your original .bin after your test and leave them in a cloud of tire smoke!

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Duh I did not think about the ease of having a .BIN on the HD for smog tests and just swap em when I need to do it every 2 years:D . I should prolly go ahead and get the setup on my 350 as a stocker so I can learn it before I go to swapping engines all around. I dont guess there is really anything wrong with TBI other than maybe the limited flow for the engine size I want.

Ira

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe even TBI, with two injectors, has the same number of "injector drivers" as the TPI, which is two. Kind of odd, but if you look at it, TPI doesn't fire each individual injector. There are only two pins on the ECM for injectors with a V8 TPI setup, right and left bank.

As to the smog test, you shouldn't NEED another .bin to pass emissions. I don't know where I could possibly have missed it, but you don't just throw more gas or timing at an engine to get more power. Short of forced induction, nitrous, or the like, you simply can't give it more than what it wants. There is a big difference between power enrichment and steady state throttle. If you want more power, push the pedal further. :)

This is the beauty of injection. If your engine does better at 12.5:1 AFR for acceleration, you can give it that. If it runs better/stronger at 13:1, you give it that. But ONLY under power enrichment. You wouldn't run around at 13:1 just for the heck of it, it's pointless.

The problem IMO is the emissions techs themselves. Some of them will just hop in the car and flog the engine to get it to where it needs to be, and that's not accurate. ANY injected engine will go rich at that point, and create more pollutants. Steady state cruise can be 14.7:1 AFR (actually even higher when managed correctly, read up on "highway mode") while power enrichment is almost always going to be 12.5-13:1. Stay out of power enrichment and your test results should be nice.

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I guess that makes sense. If it is running properly and AFR is being maintained it should be "in spec" no matter what the power output is. I go to the same smog station everytime and have had no problems with the tech. Last time he pulled it in and let it idle while he was doing other things before he actually did his dyno runs for the actual test.

I think my previous problems with HC were an old cat. I dont think I can tell the difference between a good and bad cat by looking but the ceramic media in my old one looked "thin" if that makes sense. I am going in for my smog in 1 or 2 weeks as soon as the new exhaust is on and I can change the oil so maybe I should pic up an EBL and Ostrich that gives me 2 years to play withit before I smog again:D .

Ira

16. southernspeed

Yeah I was thinking more about a .bin for smog if you have a nasty cam and run it a bit rich low down for smoothness and driveability.( a lot of people run an open loop idle for this reason)
    As to Highway Lean Cruise, I'm running 15.5 to 17.2 AFR depending on conditions. The motor smooths right out, temps are good and no knock. Lean Cruise stays in for 2 mins, drops for 15 secs (i think) to adjust BLMs then back into cruise.
    Good for fuel consumption, not so good for the planet apparently....high nox?

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

We test for NOX so I would not be able to do that on the Dyno smog here:o . I think if I can tune it and have it run 14 or so then I should be able to pass a smog check. If I cannot build an engine to make decent power and not pass a smog I need to rethink some part of the build. I know I have seen really mean motors making crazy power and still have acceptable tailpipe emissions when smogged.

I am sure it is doable with a little time and patience:D . I am leaning more and more to a 355 with some AFRs and a roller cam of some sort. My goal is 400 or so ft-lbs from way down low around 1200-1500 and up. HP would be nice but if I can make torque the HP will be there just maybe not as high as most would think.

Maybe I should stop hijacking with my engine build plans eh?:o

Ira

18. southernspeed

EBL has a commanded 14.7 afr under normal running anyway. You can disable Highway Lean for your test. As EBLs VE tables have a self learn feature it's easy to get your BLMs pretty close after a couple of learn sessions...then it's just fine tuning. A wild cam will take more work with other perameters.