Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

re gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d coenen, Jan 28, 2005.

1. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

i have a 79 k5 with 350 35 s automatic trany it has 307 gears not very much power what gears do ineed?. dont know to much about gears so can i find them in a junkyard and how do i tell what they are? i like to go in the mud ,snowand creek crossing with sand under the water thanks.

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

4.56s will work awsome

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I would suggest at least 4.10's since it would appear you plan to off road it a good deal. If you want better power for off road 4.56 is the best bet imho. if you go to a junkyard you will have to count the ring and pinion gears' teeth. Divide the ring count by the pinion count to get the gear ratio. Example; 41 ring teeth and 11 pinion teeth 41 divide by 11 is 3.73's :waytogo:

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

would also depend on tire height and if you expect it to be any good on highway,

alot of factors to consider when deciding upon an axle ratio, but 3.07 is horrible,

personally i think 3.73 without real tall tires is a happy overall useful ratio

good luck