Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-Geared Burb

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by u2slow, Jun 2, 2003.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I actually did this two weeks ago, but I had trouble with my digital camera /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

About 6-months ago I picked up a 14FF w/3.21 gears in hopes to improve the mileage on my 4.10-geared Burb. I probably wouldn't be able to install it until I could drive the other truck - but what the heck, the price was right.

Over the past month, I had developed a leaky wheel cylinder on my Burb, so it was time to do the brakes. Personally I like the modular approach to vehicle repair, so I decided to serve up a complete 14FF for the job /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Being the cheap bastard I am, scavenged enough junk off two other 14FFs to make one good set of 1-ton 13x3.5" brakes. The only new parts I bought were two hard lines, and two hub seals. Installation was a breeze... re-used the same spring plates, re-used the e-brake cables from the 14SF, and the driveshaft & u-joint even bolted right up.

Only thing that bugged me was the load-sensitive PV valve. It wasn't going to sit at the right same height with the bigger rear end, so I tied it up out of the way and hoped for the best. Seems to work okay... actually - with those big drums - it works great! Easy to kiss the steering wheel if you're not careful /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't speak for mileage yet... haven't been able to drain the tank this month! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (I'll keep y'all posted)

Oh yeah... pics!
    [​IMG]

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Nice!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm hoping to do similar on my (currently 1/2t) 'Burb soon. Did your spring perches match up ok?

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did your spring perches match up ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they were exactly the same. This 14FF was from a '75 C20. I also scammed the backing plates off my crewcab so I could re-use the Burb's e-brake cables.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The perches will match up with a 3/4 ton axle perfectly. The 1 ton axles require you to cut and re-weld the spring perches and shock mounts as they are narrower than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton stuff...

5. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The perches will match up with a 3/4 ton axle perfectly. The 1 ton axles require you to cut and re-weld the spring perches and shock mounts as they are narrower than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it's been asked before (will likely do a search shortly) - how would you tell the difference between a 3/4 and 1-ton 14FF? Brake drum size maybe? I have a friend who has a 14FF he'll sell me for the 'Burb, but I'm curious if there's a 'lazy' way to tell if I will need to do some fab work...

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

measure the spring pad distance

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm curious if there's a 'lazy' way to tell if I will need to do some fab work...

[/ QUOTE ]

Shock mounts are staggered opposite from 3/4 to 1-ton. For example, the 3/4-ton has the driver-side shock behind the axle while the 1-ton has it in front.

1-ton drums are deeper and the backing plate is pushed in - for the 13x3.5" shoes. 3/4-ton brakes are 13x2.5" or 11x2.5" and the backing plate is essentially flat. The brakes are a tough way to tell since it can all be swapped around - just like I did. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif