Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re gearing ?????'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990SilveradoK5, Jun 18, 2001.

1. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Re gearing ?????\'s

The Blazer is my first 4X4 so these may be dumb questions, but here it goes.

If I regear my rear end do I have to regear my front axle at the same time??
    What are my options to make my 3.08 rear end a 3.91 or 4.11?
    Can these ratio's be found in the salvage yard?
    And what would it take to swap out an axle vs. the gearing?

For those of you who have done this yourselves, what do you think???? I don't want to spend a ton of money on her right now but the power band is gone with the 3.08 and 33's

And yes I know many of you are going to say put 3/4 ton axles under it but $ talks and after spending almost $700 on tires my accountant/wife would kill me if I put alot of money in a rear end after she did not want me to put the 33's on.

However all thought are welcome.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Re gearing ?????\'s

You dont have to regear the front at the same time, but hen you wont be able to put it in 4wd since you will be putting alot of stress on the t-case....

You can find stuff in the j-yard, but you would be better off buying it new. Plus, jumping from a 3.08 to a 4.11, you will need a higher series carrier or you will have to buy "thick" gears.

If you have never done a gear swap and dont have the correct tools, take it somewhere and have it done right.

Looks liek you may be in the dog house even more! :)

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, so you have a 90 so you gots a 10 bolt rear and front. Assuming the previous owner/s haven't jiggered with it.
    And you probably have a 700r4 (automatic with overdrive).
    And you got 33" tires, Are you sure you got 3.08's?
    Anyhow, with the overdrive, you would be safe with 3.73's, but 4.10's would be better, but this mostly depends on how you intend to use the Blazer, (mostly highway miles, muddin, rock cralwing).
    You wont find any 3.91's........Aint gonna happen.
    The cheapest way to do all this so you wife dont kill you is to call around and find a 10 bolt that already has 3.73's or 4.10's in it. Probably be around $150. Then you just take out the old and in with the new. Not a complicated process, just heavy.
    If you wanted to go with re-gearing what you have, you would be spending 150 alone for just the gears, then another 65-100 for the install kit, and if you knew how nad had the tools you could do them yourself. But that is not recommended, so you would be looking at 200 labor for the rear and about 250 for the front. These are just ball-park labor rates here. So dont quote me.

And to answer your question: No you do not have to swap gears at the same time. However, you will not be able to use your 4 wheel drive until you have the other set of gears changed out. Except in the slickest of mud and you know that all 4 tires will slip and then you could use it only if you had to. But again, I wouldn't recommend it.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

4. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

$150 don't sound bad to me, and would give me the chance to wrench on the truck.

Would these conditions/ratio's make me run hot during long runs? After 1 hour on the road or so I see the temp rise, see my other post from this morning (6/18/01)

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

It should help. Because it will put your engine back in its power range so it will not have to work as hard. Also, you will get better circualtion of your cooling system when it is in it optimal power range. However, dont get me wrong. If you have an under lying porblem with over heating. You need to make sure everything else is 4.0 as well. Form what I remember about your other post, you could have a water pump going bad. Or it just could be the under powering do to the gears. Go for it, then if it still over heats then you still get to do more wrenching. Best of both worlds. [​IMG]

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

If you are serious about an axle swap, put a WTB post (wanted to buy) on the parts wanted/for sale board. Thats what I did looking for a 12 bolt with 3.73's and I got 3 or 4 people that wanted to sell theres. Just a thought! Good luck!!

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Also 4wpw as a sale going on. Buy one set of gears and get the second set free. I would only do it if you have a store near you that you can walk in to.......Dan