Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RE: Installing a lift Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mlb79, May 30, 2002.

1. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

I want to install a 2 1/2" to 3" lift on my 81 3/4 ton. I've never done this so I want to know if it can be done under the old shade tree in the back yard. I plan on going with new front and rear springs.

The guy at the local 4x4 shop wants $1200 to do this. That sounds like way to much to me. How hard is this job?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

$1200? That's robbery!!!

Yes, you can do it. All you do is replace the springs. I'd go at least 4" if I were you.

It's really easy. You'll need the 4" arm, 4 new springs, and new shocks and u bolts.

For a 3", you'll need all the same stuff, but you might get away with no steering correction. I'd just go the whole 4".

3. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

LOL!! I thought it was robbery!

Do you have a favorite brand of lift kit? I thought about the 4" lift, what is the max tire size for a 4" lift. I planned on 33's.

Thanks for the info.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have a Tuff Country 3" and really like it, rides smooth. Very easy to install, jsut need a breaker bar and some sockets. My front tires - 33's - do rub on occasion, so you may want to go 4". Also, if you put your old overload spring on the bottom of the new spring pack - you'll need new center pins - It'll sit level. you can even turn it upside down so it doesn't make it ride harder.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How do you want it to ride? Max size on 4" lift is detirmined by how much you want to cut the fenders, but 33s or 35s would be good with mild trimming. With 33s, you might get by without trimming.

6. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you can propperly support your rig while under the shade tree. Don't want to see those jack stands sink in the ground.

7. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

Sounds like the 33's are the way to go since I would prefer not to trim the fenders. I will mostly be on pavement fully loaded or pulling a boat, but I cant resist going off road on occasion. I'm not looking for extreme articulation so it sounds like I would be ok with 33's. Thanks for all the info and I'll be sure the jack stands are on something solid besides my head.

8. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

about tire sizes: the topic of what size tire one can fit is old as this site. do a search and see how large some people have gone with 4" suspension lifts. some people have gone all the way up to 36's. some people can barely fit 33's with a 4" inch. it will al depend on how stiff and such your suspension is. some tire stores will mount a size tire and see if it will fit with what condition your truck is in. just lettin ya know. also it will depend on width of your tire. if you want a 14.50 tire, you need more clearance than a 12.50 tire. good luck with your project.