Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-installing distributor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Aug 1, 2005.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Mar 6, 2000
    It's been quite awhile since I posted here, but I'm finally dusting off my K5 and making an attempt to get it back on the road.

It's been in storage for over 2 years now and I gave the distributor and carb to my buddy who was letting me store my truck in his garage. Now I have it back in my garage and I just picked up a distributor from a bone yard. I just got an Edelbrock 1406 from eBay that should be arriving soon.

I want to get the distributor installed. I've done some research here to find out how to properly install the distributor by finding compression on the #1 cylinder. My question is, can I turn the ignition to find compression on #1 without having the carb installed yet?
  2. Bigg R

Bigg R Registered Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Yes, I've done it many times, engine will make compression with or without a carb, and it's easier to get to with the carb out of the way!!