Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re: Looking for more HP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-383, Sep 14, 2005.

1. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Looking for new heads to swap out my 90/stockers. There high milage and smoking up a storm.

I'm considering the Sportsman II with the Edelbrock manifold. My questions are this.

Does anyone know the stock piston dish size? What would my compression be if I put some 64/66 cc heads on them? And what's everyone else doing for more power?

Thanks

Kelvin

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Whell, i see you being in Ca, there isnt much you can do, if the truck is a daily driver, you need to keeo it to stock as much as possible for emmisions purposes.A new motor might help it alot, exaust, etc, if its a tbi truck, there should be some upgrades for it also.

Good luck , Jacob

3. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

True the emissions stuff is a bummer! But the Sportsman II do have a carb-OE# if I'm not mistaken. I'm also thinking about the XE 268 cam with the full exhaust ofcourse. Does anyone make a 3" front Y-pipe for our trucks?

Thanks

KM

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

A few years ago when I was fighting smog in a 81 K5 I was running a 383 with Edelbrock heads, intake carb, and cam. Also had Hooker headers with the AIR injection ports. Also had a TCI built TH350. With 4.56 gears, locker, and 35's it was pretty mean. It was kind of a hassle till I found a good shop that just kinda glanced at the engine to see if the main things were there like EGR, smog pump, and as long as it was clean he passed me. I used the Edelbrock Performer cam for a 400 small block cuz its a little bit bigger than the 305-350 cam. Its definately harder to find all the parts but you can get decent power with smog legal cams, heads, intake, headers, etc... And you may get a small increase in mileage!!

Now I have a 73 K20, so now it has bigger cam, noisy gear drive, RPM Air Gap manifold Barry Grant carb, and no smog equipment!!