Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re[ly: How good are the 6.2 diesels?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 16, 2001.

I have seen more talk about turbos on 6.2's than I have heard in a long time. I am glad to know that so many peolpe on this page have diesels. As I looked at more power from a turbo from my 6.2 I found some problems. I decided to leave it stock. It save me money too be it is fun to talk about all the power you could have.
    I lived near a man who has set the speed record on the bonneville salt flats in Utah. He also built some of the first turbos of the 6.2. The dealers had him install his turbo on their new trucks. He explained that one of the reasons he stopped installing the turbos on the 6.2 is because the right rear cylinder would burn. The cylinder burned because the 6.2 does not have oil cooled pistons like the 6.5 has. Instreastingly enough, I have talked to two men personally that said the same cylinder (right rear) is the one they had problems with on their 6.5. If it will burn on a 6.5 it will probably burn faster on the 6.2.
    I don't pull alot either so I enjoy mine the way it is. It runs well, and worlds better, now that I am at sea-level compared to 4500 feet. During the move east, I pulled a car behind me climbing up to 11,100 feet over the Eisenhower Pass on I-70 just west of Denver. Then I wish I had a turbo. I understand that the propane (which can only be run with a turbo) has a soothing effect on the engine. It should increase your ecomony 35% to 45%, and your over-all mileage (figuring in the cost of propane) 15% to 20%.
    One other option would be to replace the timing chain with a gear set. The timing can fluxcuate 7 to 8 degrees on a tight chain (one that is not worn out). With the fuel injection pump being a very very presice piece of equipment 7 to 8 degrees is a lot. The timing gear set will reduce that number to 2 or 3 degrees. You can also try turning up the fuel and advancing the injection pump alittle.
    My diesel has been good to me also. It is not the fastest unit on the road and not the most powerful one either but it can run unside down, requires little maintainance, and once it is started it probably won't die on you.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

The 6.2 does not have a timing chain. It has a timing gear drive with a third top gear that drives the injection pump.
    If you want power without a turbo, there are many ways to go about it. Rebuilt injection pumps set to closer tolerances that original factory spec is one way. My former boss had his done and he loved it. A good free flowing exhaust is another. Diesels love the free flow and I hear a crossover pipe is a giid idea too.

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I took apart a stock 87 6.2L NA, it had a big timing chain. All of the guys that I know who own 6.2Ls have timing chains. You can buy a gear drive from Diesel Services Group, but I'm confident that they didn't come stock.

David
    '85 diesel burban

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Mine did.

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.

Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

4. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

It's interesting that some of you claim you don't have a timing chain on your 6.2's I looked everywhere in my 79-89 GM parts book and in no year did they have timing gears. Mine is a double rolling timing chain. I sure wish mine came with a timing gear. Wouldn't have to upgrade to it.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

5. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Well, hell. I guess I stand corrected on that timing chain subject BUT, if it's still there(and that's a big IF), the ORIGINAL 6.2L in my 84 Jimmy had the gears. I know because I had to take off the front cover to get the injection pump off. If the previous owner still has it, I'll go take pictures.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Gots both - gear and chain. Timing chain turns the camshaft, gear from the cam to the injection pump. The gear timing sets that replace the timing chain are all aftermarket (non EOM).