Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

re: Placement of rear springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MontanaJohn, Feb 16, 2006.

1. MontanaJohn

MontanaJohn Registered Member

1986 K20,np205,sm465,14FF,3" lift

Dear Guys,
    I recently purchased a 3" TC suspension package from ORD w/ 2.5" reverse shackles and HD shacles. The truck had 52" rear springs, and I 'm installing 7 leaf/56" springs. I know I can flip the shackle mounts and use the same bolt holes on the frame. Does this weaken the reverse shackle mount w/ its welded braces oriented to the rear? What if I re-drill new bolt holes further back on the frame rails w/ the flip shackle facing the 'right' way? What position should the HD shackle be when the suspension is loaded(supporting the truck).....straight vertical, angled to the front , or angled to the rear? Thanks for your time. John

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I believe that the bracing is the way it is because of the offset. It shouldn't matter whick way you have them. I know several people that run them reversed with no ill effects. Are you running an extended shackle also?

3. MontanaJohn

MontanaJohn Registered Member

re: shackle height

Dear Leper,
    The shackles are ORD's stock height 4.5" heavy-duty units. I may need to use one of their zero blocks w/ my stock height rear springs to be level w/ the 3" TC frt springs/Heavy Duty Front Shackles. Not sure 'till I do the install. John