Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-post - no wires to high-beam switch - WTH???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BillyTungsten, Nov 26, 2005.

1. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

Hey guys, need a little help... my brother recently bought a 1969 K5... he was prepping for a bedliner and suddenly his headlights wouldn't work... I searched CK5, came up w/ the high-beam switch as a possible culprit, and now I am on the phone with him (he is in Georgia)as I type this. Get this: There are NO wires coming to or from his high-beam switch (on the floor), yet the thing worked before the trouble with the headlights.

cue the twighlight-zone music...

How the heck does this switch control the high/low beams without wires?

BTW, he became a member this morning - please welcome another brother and show him how good you guys are!

2. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

fair guess that there used to be wired there, and they rotted out / fell off.

Run new ones

3. BillyTungsten

yes, but the switch worked yesterday... all he did was surface prep for a bedliner and then the lights would not work... when he removed the foot-switch, there were no wires...

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Donno what the firstgens are like, but methinks there's a plug somewhere that got unplugged, fell down. You know as well as I do that electricity doesn't just magically appear .... well, unless you're sticking your fingers into light sockets :haha:

-- A

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Was anyone else working on this with him? Was he drinking heavily while working? I am betting he or someone else removed those wires and they are tucked up in behind the dash. There is no other explanation.

6. BillyTungsten

I realize there is an answer that includes a plug or wire(s) coming loose... but where are they normally? He may have been drinking, but lightly, since my dad was the only other worker on the project... he is insisting that there are no wires... he is my LITTLE brother, but he is not clueless :D

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

The wires hang down from the driverside fo the dash and plug into a connector on the side of the switch at floor levell. they are not covered up or anything. Somebody must have unplugged them to prepare that metal for the linner. They probably tucked up the wires behind the dash to keep them out of the way. I think it is a brown conector with two female spades one horizontal one vertical forming an L but that is from memory.

8. BillyTungsten

I just spoke w/ him regarding a plug in the side... he says it is a solid casting, no provision for a connection. He is going to take a pic and post it...

9. harrisonj_32

harrisonj_32 Registered Member

pictures from actual switch

Its my k5 and i can not see where any wire would attach. here are some pix

P1010147.JPG

P1010149.JPG

P1010148.JPG

10. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

The side of the switch is missing. Their should be more on the boxed end where that little propellor part is

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

probably still on the connector, you need a new switch

12. BillyTungsten

Do you think that switch is original? I have heard about some pretty inferior replacements at Pep Girls & such... any tips? Also, I don't know if John has even found the 'other side' of this switch - he may have to root around behind the dash.

Still doesn't explain how it went from working to non-working and the wiring up & left...

huh.

13. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Remember that this switch is on the floor, foot controled. He either hit it with his boot or they bumped it when cleaning up for the floor linner. It had to have been their when the lights were working so it must be hanging down their somewhere unless they stuck it up out of the way for the linner.

14. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

There should be a taped set of three wires green, black, and brown with a three prong female plastic plug that attaches to the dimmer switch. If they're any bare spots in the wires you may have blown the fuse to the headlights if the bare spot came into contact with metal. I believe the fuse is located on the backside of the headlight switch on the dash.

Good Luck and welcome to CK5.

Someone hasn't put a later model steering column with the dimmer on the column have they???

15. harrisonj_32

harrisonj_32 Registered Member

Thank You

Thanks For Your Help, A Piece Of The Old Switch Fell Off, Which Caused Me To Look At Different Options. A New Switch For $5 Was All It Took.