Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re- racking my heads..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Mar 27, 2007.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

At first I thought the sound of a very light tapping was an exhaust leak so I changed out the exhaust manifold gaskets, I started the truck and still hear this sound. It sounds like its coming from the heads, I was wondering if is a common practice to re- rack the heads? Do they ever get loose? the sound doesnt sound like a rod knocking or anything just a lite tapping. I dont mind chaning out the valve cover gaskets and while im in there should I check this?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Re-adjust your rockers? Maybe one's loose? Or maybe you're not getting oil through all of your pushrods. What do you mean by re-racking your heads? Loosen and then retorque the head bolts?

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Don't touch the heads, what you hear is your valve rockers, those need to be adjusted if you hear tapping.

4. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

This is exactly what I meant, adjusting my rockers not the actual head. That's the sound I think I hear.. Sorry for not explaining it that accurately. So those can get out of adjustment on there own? Can I replace the push rods or anything else while I have the valve covers off? I don't really want to do a full valve job or anything, just a simple tune up and if that doesn't work then I guess Ill have to get a little more extensive. But im pretty damn sure its the rockers im hearing.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

No need to replace the pushrods unless one is bent. Just make sure you are getting oil through all of them, and that your rockers are properly adjusted. I adjust mine with the engine running, using an old pair of valve covers with the top cut out, to keep the oil from getting everywhere. I back off the rocker nut until I hear clatter, then tighten until clatter stops, then go 3/4 of a turn more.

6. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Good info, thanks. Ill be doing this little project this weekend. One thing though, can you get some type of "ciip" or something to keep the oil from getting everywhere? Ive done this once before years ago and I swear I used some clips and had the valve covers all the way off with no oil troubles.

Can I get a reccomendation for some new valve cover gaskets? I remember last time I got some cheapy rubber ones from some parts store and they kept slipping off the valve cover making it a huge hassle getting them on properly. I have M/t valve covers if this makes a difference on what gasket to use.

Thanks for the reply

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I usually get the engine warmed up so the lifters are pumped up with oil then I do the adjutment while engine is off, it takes very little time and I am no making a mess or hurying to finish before I get oil everywhere.
    I do half of the cylinders, turn the engine 180 degrees and do the rest.
    As or gaskets, I used to use the cork and hated it, last week I got a set of FelPro it was a kind of rubber but it feels like rubber reinforced with something, they are great, stay in place and don't squish when you torque them down.

8. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Im trying to figure out what I have to take off to get the driver side valve cover off. Do I just take off the braket that mounts from the a/c pump to the intake manifold? The valve cover should be able to sqeeze off then right?

I dont want to take too many bolt loose off the a/c pump because the belt will then be loose and I wont be able to start the truck unless I take the whole belt off. Im in need of some tips here guys..

Thanks

9. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Nevermind, I got both valve covers off.

Ok, I wiped my finger on the head and feel some grit/dirt, not a ton but enough to notice it. Also, the undersides of my valve covers have some built up hardened grim, (more on the driver side). I will clean my valve covers up and wipe the top of my heads of the best that I can..

Next, I feel slack on my rocker arms, I can wiggle them and can twist most of all the push rods. Is this normal? Or should they all be pretty tight. Im thinking they are loose and this is the sound I was hearing when I had my truck started.. I will pull out my push rods and roll them on a flat surface to see if any are bent. Id like to hear any suggestions or input on any of this.

Thanks in advance..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The clips you were asking about are called oil control clips. They are cheap. Should be able to find them at an Auto parts place that sells tools. they just slide over the rocker arm and cover the oil hole

11. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks, I think I have some actually. Are you near reno by chance? Thats where I am.. :D

Anyways, so how about the last questions I had?

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The lose rocker arms means you found the tapping noise source.
    Getting your push rods out and checking them is a good idea.

13. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Cool, ok do I have to put the push rods back into the same spots that they came out of or does it matter?

I was reading my manual about how to adjust the rockers and got a little lost about finding TDC. I mean it was saying something about finding TDC then start the adjustment with the #1 cylinder then go from there. Im guessing from the posts above and what the manual says that there are a few ways to adjust the rockers and not just one particular way, correct? I know I might be making a big deal out of all this but just want to do it correctly.

Iceman, can you be more specific on what fel-pro gasket you got, I want to get the same gaskets you got but there are a few rubber fel-pro options on the summit website.:confused:

14. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I'd say that is lose, although I had an engine that had it so bad, the rocker twisted off the rod and sat to the side, and I had 7 cylinders left running in the truck.:D
    But with me it happened because for some reason the studd threads stripped and the nut got lose, at first I thought the stud was pulling out then I noticed it's the threads I tighten abd they go lose quick until it showed there was no more threads and I couldn' tighen them anymore.
    :o
    I will try and find the number for the felpro I got, got it from Kragen.

16. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Kragen is so damn spendy. I got some copper mr. gaskets for my exhaust manifolds from summit for $30 and they wanted $60 for the exact same ones at Kragen. Rippers!!

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Summit is definitely the best but I run out to kragen 2 miles from my house, summit is about 150miles fom me and I don't want to wait for shipping. :D

18. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I hear you on that, im very thankfull I am so close.

19. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine had the same problem on his big block. He took it in for a new cam and lifters, but after they were changed it still made the same noise. A week later he dropped a valve in the cylinder and destroyed the engine, the noise was a cracked valve

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I grew up in Reno/Sparks
    Used to live out on the Pyramid Highway (spanish springs) way back when it was an empty 2 lane road.
    When town started moving out to me I decided to get a little further out of town.............I moved to Elko.:D
    I cant believe how the old hood looks today:eek1: malls, big stores, stoplights, 4 lane roads, 7 elevens, houses everywhere. Glad i am gone.:laugh: But It would be nice to be a little closer to the Summit store.