Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-routing fuel lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Mar 2, 2005.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5 tbi and I bought the Missouri Offroad rear shock mount kit a few months back, and have a question about installing it. On the passenger side inside frame rail, there are a couple of hard metal fuel lines running to the fuel filter. The new crossmember for the rear shock kit needs to bolt in place right over those lines. What are my options for moving the lines? I know just buying new (straight) metal fuel lines and bending them myself is an option, but im looking at alternatives. I also know that autozone sells flexible rubber fuel line, and I was wondering if that would work for my application. Is it possible to just cut the existing metal fuel line before and after the shock mount bracket, then put a piece of flexible rubber fuel line in between them, then double clamp it on both sides to the metal line? Would this hold up? Anyone who is running this setup, what did you do? What do you guys suggest I do? I have had the kit for a while now, but havent gotten around to putting it on yet because I need to figure out what to do with those fuel lines. Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you cut a small piece out of the crossmember that the lines will pass through? I had to do that for a bracket I was using, just made more sense to modify the bracket than the fuel lines.

New lines will cost you serious $$, you can't buy the special lines, and the AN adapter fittings are something like $8/each, min 2 for each line you need to modify. For that reason I also think cutting the stock lines is a very bad idea. I'm no fan of rubber where GM used steel.

You can hand bend the line if you are careful, but it ALWAYS needs to be clamped down tight so vibration will not allow the steel line to rub on something, eventually wearing through it. Yet another reason to leave the stock lines as is if possible.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have looked at the bracket, and I dont think there is any way to modify the bracket to make the stock lines fit. How much is metal fuel line?
    -Harrison

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, if you could buy it, cheap probably.

You can't buy the (injection) saginaw fitting fuel line, and you probably won't find anyone that can make it either. The o-ringed fuel (and power steering) lines are impossible to make without an extremely specific machine.