Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RE-Sliders , methods of construction

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Apr 5, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I have looked at a lot about sliders on this site.
    I have noticed two methods of attachment.
    My question is exactly where does the slider attach to the body when it is installed below the rockers (not replacing them)
    Also is an out-rigger requred from the frame to the slider?
    Any info. would really help as I plan on starting this project when I pick-up two roll bars to cage the interior (I may tie it all together )
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

There are 3 basic ways to do sliders (and of course many others, you can get creative on something like this).
    1) Cut out the bottom portion of your rockers, leaving two edges on either side (the inner rocker and outer rocker). Weld the slider material to each of those edges.
    2) Leaving your rockers alone, weld tabs onto your sliders and then bolt your sliders onto the lip at the bottom of the rockers with 4-5 bolts along the length of your truck.
    3) Don't attach the sliders to your body at all. Make their sole attachment be the frame.

What I'd like to see done (and may incorporate into mine), is a slider that's welded to the cut-out rockers with supports that run to somewhere on the body rather than the frame. The body moves separate the frame, so when you've got the two essentially welded together, you're gonna have problems.

3. big jimmy 91

Some of the pre-fab. ones look like they have two brackets that bolt to the body channels under the floor.
    Does this sound strong enough?
    Any attachment to the frame would have to be flexible to avoid the independent flex problems , so I am looking for different methods to do this.
    Has anyone done this ?
    I am thinking abuot a tourqe arm set up like they use to control the diffs. on a transport. (strait bar with an eye for bushings on each end with brackets mounted to frame & sliders)
    any comments?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

My sliders will be attached to the frame and separate from the body. From what I could tell when replacing my body mounts and supports the body mounting points and hardware were made to take downward force from the body to the frame. If you incorporate rockers into the body should you ste your rig down on a rock you will be trying to lift the body off the frame. Now I know 2 dozen people will post here saying that's how their sliders are done and they work fine, but for me personally should I drop the side of my rig on a rock I'd rather have the frame take the weight than the body.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about attaching the sliders to the frame and cutting the seem off under the rockers to sit flush and using 3 mounting points from the sliders to the frame I'am all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

justin

6. big jimmy 91

This may be hard to do because of the distance
    Won't it allow the slider to be bent up thus contact the body?
    Also I think that it may put alot of stress on the frame rails and cause a faliure.
    Just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I meant was to cut off the seam under the rocker so it can sit up alittle higher to the rockers

justin

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also I think that it may put alot of stress on the frame rails and cause a faliure.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about gussetting and proper load distribution. If you have 3 points coming out from the frame and they are coming off a long mounting plate running the length of the slider the frame should be fine.

9. big jimmy 91

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about gussetting and proper load distribution. If you have 3 points coming out from the frame and they are coming off a long mounting plate running the length of the slider the frame should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

How heavy should a guy go with the plate & gussets?
    How many bolts for plate to frame would be enough?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I bolted my sliders through the cab supports and through the floor to the floor plates on my roll cage and ran braces over to the frame with poly bushings tying them together. You can see pics in my webshots album. I also tied the rear feet of the roll cage to braces on my rear bumper. So, six points on the cage are tied to the frame, sliders and rear bumper. Pics are here:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/rjdinkins

Russ

11. big jimmy 91

WOW /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    Those are awsome pics
    I had the same kind of ideas , but now I have a much better idea(s) on how things can be tied together
    Looks like I am going to have a lot of fabbing to do LOL
    Thanks for helping out a new guy

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I dont know how you did it, but you managed to steal all my ideas and built a nice Blazer. I like your truck too...

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    What I'd like to see done (and may incorporate into mine), is a slider that's welded to the cut-out rockers with supports that run to somewhere on the body rather than the frame. The body moves separate the frame, so when you've got the two essentially welded together, you're gonna have problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like mine? I replaced the normal under floor supports with square tube and mounted the sliders as well as the cage to that. The under floor "sub frame" then sets on the factory rubber doughnut mounts.

14. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Hey Jim.
    I haven't heard from you in a while. Sorry about stealing all your ideas. I think I am done with them now though, so you can have them back /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Russ