Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re:steering arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tommysblazer10, Sep 12, 2004.

1. tommysblazer10

tommysblazer10 Registered Member

Install my 4" lift and having a hard time getting the stock steering arm off got the 3 nuts loose put it wont come out anyone has dealt with this ?? Any help appreciated

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Take a small sledge hammer (2-3 lb) and start smacking the hell out of the arm. There are 3 cone washers below the nuts that keep the steering arm in place. You must smack the arm around enought to get the washers to unseat themselves and pull them out.

It can be a huge pain in the ass to do if there is alot of rust on there. Just starts swinging on the arm like you want it to die a horrible death and hope for the best. Hit the arm from both sides to help try and break it all free.

The best places to hit were the GM part number is cast into it and where the draglink end hole is at.

If none of this works get a bigger hammer.

Harley

3. tommysblazer10

tommysblazer10 Registered Member

yeah going to try that tommorrow i saw those washers and i figured it was set in place pretty good.

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

zap it with some liguid wrench or WD then whack the heck outta it!!

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It really is excellent therapy. One of the guys around here had to put the weight of the truck on the arm to get it to unseat. Had to let it sit overnight to get it to let go. I think he used a 2x4 or somethin wedged between the ground and the arm.
    I just did the smack the bejeezus out of it method. I've heard I got lucky it only took about 5 minutes.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Usually here in the rust belt we have to remove the axle and beat it with a 20 pound sledge.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Usually here in the rust belt we have to remove the axle and beat it with a 20 pound sledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep done that numerous times. its a pain that way though. get to do it tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found it to be easier to leave it in the truck... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found it to be easier to leave it in the truck... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found no easy way to beat it with the body in the way.

I have an air hammer now and I'd probably use that if I had to do another one.

The guys at Dana were so nice when they put that spring there that pulls the arm for you on the '60. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I had to use the large sledge on the last one I separated and ended up bending two of the studs - what fun it is to try to remove the studs to replace them.