Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? re: swapping front axle and steering arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Dec 23, 2004.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I'm swapping out the 10b for a 8-lug D44. The D44 comes with all the steering stuff except the TRE. The problem I'm having is getting the front axle off -- everything is unbolted and only thing keeping it under is the steering are connected the the TRE ball joint. If I use a puller, can I reuse the balljoint? If I use a fork, I have to replace right?

How difficult is this to do? Would they have to be pressed into the new 4" extended sterring arm on the D44? And if so, what's the procedure?

I am really a newbe, but already swapped the rear, and need to get the front axle done . Thanks

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not quite sure what you mean is still connected? I am assuming the end on the draglink (part from the steering arm to the pitman arm) Give it a couple of good whacks on the side and it should dislodge it from the taper. If not put the castleated nut on upside down and knock it out that way. If you are talking about the steering arm itself (on top of the knuckles connected with three studs/nuts) read back a few pages there are a couple of recent posts on good tips for getting that off:xmas:

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Read the second post , we did it just like that ..........whacked it with the nut on , the reused it . If it wants to turn when you tighten it just put pressure on it sideways while you tighten so it does tighten :xmas::xmas:

4. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna try using a BFH and whacking it and hopefully it will pop out.

This axle swap and lift project has taken me three four weekends already; I need to finish!!

Thanks

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

new boots

You can get new booties for the tie rod ends from the "Help" rack at the parts stores now--moog sells them too,might be hard to find,but they are available--I save stupid stuff like that a lot when I junk a truck--then spend the rest of my life looking for where I hid them away...:doah: .