Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-Uphostering Seats

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fausz, Mar 21, 2002.

1. fausz

fausz Registered Member

Has anyone ever reuphostered their seats? I'm in search of a couple of vinyl seats for my 76 K5. I contacted an uphostery shop that quoted me $400 for both front bucket seats. I found in the LMC catalog that a kit is only $170. I've heard that LMC is expensive, so if I can find the kit somewhere else cheaper, that's even better!

What I want to know is, is this a job anyone can do? Are there any resources out there for the kit or instructions? Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I'm looking for seats, I'm near Raleigh, NC!

phil

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Its not hard to do your self. The kit even comes with the hog ring pliers I believe...Just take off the old vinyl. Put the new stuff in the laundry dryer and get it nice and warm so it streaches a little easier...slip it over the foam seats and hog ring the bottom. You just saved yourself $200!

3. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

i have done my buddies in his blazer. they were a pain in the a$$. but they were custom at the same time. if you pay attention to how they came off. it would not be to difficult. let the material sit out in the sun if you go with vinyl. makes it easier to work with...ie stretches better. you will need some hog ring pliers, and lots of hog rings, along with a wire cutter to remove old hog rings. and it makes things easier if you dissasemble the seat ie seperating the seat bottom from the back.

if you have more questions let me know
    thanks
    travis

there are some pics of interiors clicky below they are in other projects

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$400 is silly... if u dont wanna do it yourself or pay a silly amount for someone else to do it, do what I did and order some Corbeau Baja SS seats. They are all vinyl, very cozy, harness compatible, and only cost $147/each. Same seat Stephen Watson runs AFAIK. Check em out at...

http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/baja-ss.html

or, if you weigh over 200 lbs (the baja ss is to narrow for some peeps...)... try the ultra SS... same style seat, just wider...

http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/bajaultra-ss.html

hope it helps,

J

5. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the "do-it-yourself" seat covers. I've done it and they look GREAT after you are finished. The pliers make for a tight fit with those little staple things they give you. If you want the original look, don't be afraid to do it yourself. You will be proud of the results.