Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re Welding Spring Perches w/o Spring Plates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 17, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

My 14 bolt will be here tomorrow. My problem is my spring plates didn't get shipped from ORD until yesterday so I won't get them until friday, and I want to weld my perches before then so I can install the axle this weekend (have been waiting for 2 months). Any of you guys have any ideas on how I can re weld the perches w/o the spring plates? Like get the angles right? I have U bolts, but no plates. I know some of you guys are creative so I figured I would ask. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You could probably get some 1/4" steel plate and make up some temporary ones. Measure the distance between the u-bolt ends and drill four holes in the plate for the u-bolts to go through. Then you will probably have to drill a hole in the center for the spring bolt to pass through. I would think you could make up a temporary one like this in a few minutes...it would be enough to bolt up the springs and allow you to see where you need to weld on the perches for correct angle...

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I plan to weld mine up before I even put it under the truck. From what I have been told with the flip the angle from the factory should work, so I will take the measurements from my 3/4 ton 14ff and use them as a guide for the 1 ton unit.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

4. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Drill your orginal 1/2 ton plates oversize so you can fit the wider 14bolt u-bolts up thru and use some washers!
    RGF

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You don't need the spring plates to get the angles right. Just put the axle under the truck with the perches already moved and put a bottle jack under the pinion and use that to jack it up or down till you get the correct angle. You don't need the ubolts on...I did it without it. Once I got the angles right, I just welded it up right there under the truck. Then I drilled holes through my old spring plates and welded some thick washers on both sides and used that. It's been working great so far.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5