Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

re-wiring 83 k5 blazer HELP????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Sep 20, 2006.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have a rewiring diagram and supplies list to do this themsleves w/out having to pay a lot of money for a kit from a company.

Or what is the best way to do this? Thanks in advance.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you mean by rewire?

Whenever I get a new truck (used but new to me) I always "fix" all the wiring. I just follow all the wires and repair them or replace them. POs always have a way of cutting and splicing the wrong wires...

I just buy a couple mini spools of different color wire (red, green, and black), big bag of wire ties, some flex loom, and some heat shrink tubing (this stuff is real cheap). I solder up all connections and shrink the tubes on them.

If I need new connectors, I just go shopping at the junk yard and solder on better ones.

I could redo a 83 truck for $25 or less and have plenty supplies left over for another truck.

It is just time consuming. Most of the time, its pretty easy to get your wiring in top shape. It just looks like a mess at first but most of the wiring is in great shape

I also reroute all factory wiring that is poorly designed. Like looms going under column when they are better served over the column or wires in front of the fuse box that make it hard to see the panel... I reroute everything so it is very clean looking under the dash. No spaghetti at all. best way is to rip apart the entire dash so you can check every wire and follow them. Real hard to do with the dash, vent system, or anything in the truck.

If you are talking about replacing every wire, I think you are wasting your time. But if that is your plan, Just buy a bunch of wire and I hope you like to solder alot :)

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

dont rewire the truck, damn that is a headache..

2 options

1 save up for a quality kit

2 post in the wanted section and buy and uncut harness for your year, I say your year because cetain years a decent of wires go changed, the steering colume wiring changed a time or two for example.

i rewired my 86 this way after the fire, just post up that you want a complete non cut harness. put some $$ in someones pocket and save alot of coin and head aches in the process.

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

sometime's when the electrical grimelins are getting to me, I dream of buying a painless kit and rewiring it all. Anyone know if the painless kit is complete with AC controls and stuff?

5. el diablo

el diablo Registered Member

In the long run it will be more economical to get a premade kit, or get a good harness from a junkyard donor that hasn't been hacked up. Good luck finding one though.
    By the time you buy all the wire, connectors, plugs, fuse blocks, etc.you will have as much or more money tied into building it yourself. Not to mention the time it takes to get it done right. IMO you won't be able to put a quality harness together for $25. Good wire and connectors are expensive. Trust me on this you don't want to have wiring issues when you are in BFE.

6. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

The reason I want to re-wire is when I bought the truck it had been stolen and the previous owner I bought it from just cut and spliced a lot. When I need to look for a blown fuse i need to move all the spaghetti wires and a bunch of splices put together with black tape and those connectors where you just cut into the wire. The wiring in the truck looks like Sh**. there is hardly any power going to the power windows, radio and the dome light barely stays lit. I have already checked the ground and that is good.

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in the process of wiring mine and I got a kit from http://www.hotrodwires.com/
    I priced out getting everything seperate and talked to some who have done it and although I would have saved a bit of money doing it my self, I beleive I am going to save alot of fustration by doing it this way. I will let you know how it goes. Probably going to get started on the actual rewire next weekend

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I also used the hotrodwires kit. I have no complaints, very user friendly kit. Every wire color pretty much matches what chevy used. I had a tech question for them last Sun and to my amazment after trying there phone number there was someone there on a Sunday to help. The kit is very high quality, I even think the wire is better quality than the painless kits.

9. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

not sure of the quality, but www.ezwiring.com lil less expensive and appears the same, they are even on ebay