Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-wiring the audio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BillyBob, Oct 29, 2001.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally got a CD head unit for my truck, a pioneer DEH-2300. Really nice CD head unit. Now, I plan to use an amp I got off my old truck strictly for the rear subwoofers. The amp is made by Urban, and can be used as a 200W x 2, or a 200W x 4. I've never heard of the company, but the thing worked in my old truck fairly well with a dead stereo, so I figure I'll try it in this truck. Now, the old truck had the amp hooked up to the fuse block somehow.. but I know that it should be attached to the batt + terminal... is that really necessary? or can I splice it off somehting that runs off the ignition? I don't liek the idea of the amp always being on. And should I use those AV looking things to go between the amp and the radio? they shopw in the hookup diagram that you use those hookups for rear speakers. if you can't tell by now, I'm not very savvy at this audio buisness. I just want the thing to sound good.

<a target="_blank" href=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</a>
    ".. Sanatarium.. leave me be..."

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

BillyBob,
    You should hock up the amp to the Battery and so it alwaays has power......It isn't really on all the time.... It has "power turn on" wire that conects the amp to the deck..... It is sometime a "blue Wire".......and you connect it to the "Power Ant." wire.... RCA's are whaat you are talking about when you say AV......this is low power conection for cleaner sound going from the deck to the amp......

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

BillyBob,

Most amps have a few different wires for power. The main power for the amp should come from a heavy gauge wire directly off the battery (sorry about that!) and the ground from the amp should be a heavy gauge wire also that ties into the frame ground (that one doesn't have to go all the way back to the battery, just a nice solid, bare metal ground) Most amps also have a small wire that is a "remote turn on" or "key on power" wire. It's purpose is only to power up the amp when the key is in the ignition (running or accessory position) so that the amp is not on 24 hours a day. Check the documentation for the amp, and I think you'll see something like that on your amp.

Don't power the amp entirely off the fuse block...if it truly puts out 200W x 4 or even 200x2, it will be WAY too much current to pull through the wires in that fuse block. It would be fine to run the "remote turn on" wire off the fuse block however....it's a very low current draw.

I think the AV thing you are describing are the RCA Signal cables that would be needed to feed the music signal from the deck to the amp....if that's the case, then YES you will need to use those to get this setup working.

-Greg72

4. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. I got the thing in today, minus the subs and amp. It sounds soo good. no matter how hard I smacked the dash, the CD player wouldn't skip. I'm probably gonna get an amp installation kit, since the guy before me obviously just ghettoed up this amp. It's probably gonna be a pain finding a ground for it, since it'll be more twards the rear of the truck, and probably under the sidepanels. I'm also gonna make a sub box. I looked in home depo for MDF, but they only sell fairly small sheets of it. I'm gonna make a test box outta cardboard or something so I can see how much material I need. I'll probably just copy something from crutchfeild.. thank goodness they give dimentions in that mag :)

<a target="_blank" href=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</a>

5. Greg72

Are you sure Home Depot is selling MDF, and not just particleboard?

Around here (San Jose,CA) I can't get MDF at H.D. I have to go to a specialty lumberyard.

MDF is what you want....lucky you if you don't have to drive all over to find it! [​IMG]

-Greg72

6. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

yeah, H.D. sells MDF.. but the problem is that they sell it in 2'x4'x3/4" sheets, which I'll have to get a few of in order to make a decent box.. and I can forget about sidepanels with stuff that thick and short. I think it's just under $4 in NJ for the MDF sheet. you sure H.D. doesn't sell MDF by you? ours is right near the particle board.

7. Greg72

Yup, I'm sure...... First I looked everywhere in the store (I practically LIVE at Home Depot anyway, so I know their layout!) and then I asked a few "smart looking" employees if they had MDF.....

"What does MDF stand for?" they replied.

"OK Thanks. Guess I'll head over to Southern Lumber now..." I says [​IMG]

I can get any thickness I want from 1/4" to 1", and anything from full sheets to precut 4'x4', 4'x2', 2'x2' etc. It's a pain handling a full 4x8 sheet of MDF on the tablesaw with nobody to help guide it, so I usually pick up the 4'x4' ones for myself....

-Greg72

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Lowes back home carried 3/4" MDF in 4x8 sheets and was fairly inexpensive. Design your box before you go and buy a bunch. Lay it out how your gonna do your cuts and make sure you won't need a piece longer than 4'. Mine I had to have a piece larger but the box houses 2 12" subs and has an integrated amp rack that covers the lower back wall of my sonoma so.....

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?