Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-wiring yea or ney

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Feb 9, 2007.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Oct 16, 2005
    The problem is a 83' m1009. The PO hacked everything to sh**. I've redone the engine and under the hood, so far so good. Now i'm under the dash. Most of the gauges (idiot lights) were hacked some switchs were missing and I have changed to a manual steering column from auto (w/ no wiper).

If anyone has looked at the military trucks you know they had wires everywhere for comunications, power, and diagnostic ports. Because of the condidition of the current wires (some looking nasty, missing, burnt...) I am thinking of ripping everything out and starting over again with a pre-made 12 circut harness. Does anyone have any recomendations or opinions on different companies out there and thier quality and ease of use?

2. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

Oct 4, 2006
    Kwik Wire, they make just about any type of harness you need and if they dont currently make it just give them the specs and they will make it. All the wires on the universal harnesses are GM color coded and printed with the number and description of where that particular wire goes. they also come with all the plugs and connectors, I have personally toured their shop and know of classic car builders that use their harnesses including Boyd Coddington. There your best bet imo. All the wiring groups are wire tied togather for ease of instalation, a complete install will probably take two days or so.
  3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jul 30, 2005
    I used Painless, and it was pretty painless to install. The only complaint I have about the fuse block is the connectors on it are only crimped and not soldered and crimped.
  4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I hear Painless makes decent stuff, too.

edit: I'm slow
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2007