Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reached a depressing point today ( network crap )

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

it doesn't really matter much on the network in the new building... if I do a great job, no one will thank me for it. no one will say great job, wow, this thing runs smoother then the old one, you're my hero, or anything of the likes... if I screw up on something, or if it looks ugly, then I'll hear about it to no end. I'll hear about how they paid me all this over time, and yet of the 175 ports I installed, 2 of the @#^%ing things don't work. I'll hear about how this bundle of cables looks like a complete pile of ass, or about how my cable runs are the worst ever. no one will ever look at the back of my main punchdown panel, and comment on how nicely all the wires go into it, or about how well everything looks. I'll probably hear something stupid about how I have 120 cables sticking out of the roof in a giant umbelicle cord of data cable, and why couldn't I hide it in the wall, or something equaly innane, but nothing good. I don't even think I want to wake up at 430 AM to be there at 530 to start, and work for 9 hours strait until 230 when it'll be time to gather up my crap, and leave.... I'm always dead tired from working so damn long, and so damn early in the morning, that I never want to do anything, and my trucks been getting neglected. I've needed to change the damn oil for aobut 3 weeks now, and drive down to Johns place to steal the exhaust system off my parts truck so I can get this thing sounding better, and delivering the exhaust to the rear of the truck, instead of the drivers side middle window.... I need to get a new carbureator on the K20, and paint the primer overr, and several other things.... but no, I don't have time... after my first 9 hours, I've got to come here, and work for another 2-5 hours, fixing all the crap that broke while I was wireing the new building...

you'd think after 2 1/2 years, I'd learn to not expect anything from my work, or any positive feedback from anyone, or that I'd find a better job, where they actually pay me money for what I do, instead of the pennance I make here... oh well, time to leave this god forsaken hell hole of an old building, and fight traffic for an hour to gethome so I can sleep, and go in for another wholy hopeless day of futile work.

-Rich

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know exactly what you mean! I was muttering the same kinda stuff at 10:30pm friday night, from getting to work at 9am friday morning, after getting a call at 4am saying two data lines were down! I took a company car home and a little extra time coming in this week, though...

<a target="_blank" href=http://ice.prohosting.com/rratch/workwires.html>My Cable</a>

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

your job sounds like heaven.
    time to job search for a different person to sign your paychecks before you go postal.

4. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

I feel your pain brother. Us puter guys need to stick together. Funny how the amount of praise always falls short to the amount of criticism. Someone should come up with some sort of national IT anthem. Something along the lines of I love my work but hate my boss and users. How I have seen the sun rise on many occasions and not so much as a thank you, or you can come in late for working late. How IT people are treated like non humans. Etc. etc. Anyone have anything else to add??

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It must be something in this field. I'm feeling way underappreciated, underpaid and overworked. I've been with this company for 4 years and I'm starting to look around... the problem is there just aren't any other jobs out there in this area.

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Something along the lines of I love my work but hate my boss and users. How I have seen the sun rise on many occasions

<hr></blockquote>

the sun rises? I thought it just appeared out of nowhere a few hours after I get to work.... the only time thats bad is when one can't tell if the sun sets, or dissapears in the same day... or even worse, you see 2 sunrises, and no sunsets from ending a 36 hour emergency shift ( been there once)

one of the whiney ass engineers who's office has my secondary punchdown junction box in it asked if any cables were going to be hanging out of it.... I flat out lied and said `a few of them... nothing to worry about really' although I know for a fact there's going to be a giant rats nest of wires hanging out of that junction box. I'm going to take my digital camera to work tomorrow, and snag some pictures of the main punchdown/server/rack room, and the secondary hanging rack box. the worst part, they're going ot plan the move for my week off in the white mountains at scoutcamp, and yes, I will need to be here for the computers/admin/network equipment move. on the plus side, I will be charging mileage for the 600 mile round trip, should they demand I;m there durring part of the move (I know they will). oh well, #$%^%&amp;#!!!

I go home now and sleep... today I was off network duties, and instead on grunt work with the overhead gantry cranes again, since I'm not exactly a small person, and able to heft about large chunks of steel pretty well. ugh, must leave for home now, or risk sleeping at wheel/causing accident/death...

-Rich