Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reaction times to good deals. A dramatic tale of anticipation.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 22, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's Thursday. The race begins. I have a lot of competitors... all those others who know that the local "Exchange Want-Ads" comes out a day before the printed date on the paper.

I get my copy as soon as I can. I spot my prey. 1977 Chevy 1-ton 4x4, 454 with flatbed and winch for $1200... call AFTER 7pm.

I wait. 6:30 pm... I sit trigger happy near the phone. I eat something to pass the time. I don't want to jump the gun and call before 7 and piss off the seller for calling when he said not to. So I wait.

6:58, 6:59... 7:00. I call the number very quickly. No answer. I leave a message. I wait for a return call... thinking "I have $650 cash to put down". My shoes are on, and Im ready to dart out the door to go look at the truck.

7:05pm. I can't wait any longer. I call again. I get an answer! I ask if I can come take a look at it. He says the soonest that he can show the truck is on Saturday morning, and there are two people in line before me. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I wanted to say "I called at 7:00 when your ad said", I wanted to say "I'll come buy this truck right now". But all I could say is, "Ok, I'll call back Saturday morning and get directions if its still available".

Saddened, I hang up. I know that one of the two people in line before me will buy it without a doubt. So, I lose this round. But I'll be ready next week... to beat the next guy to the next good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well I usually have no problem finding stuff for sale, it's the part about not having money that gives me problems. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm always short of money or time... sometimes both at the same time.

I don't have $1200... but I'd put my $650 I have down to hold it and rush to wheel and deal and sell stuff in a hurry to come up with the rest. I've done so before in similar situations.

It's rare that I have $650 even... some of it I owe to friends, but if theres a Dana 60 and big block involved, I can make an extension with them.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know how I managed to have $2000 in my account when I found my K30. I do know that I withdrew 15 100 dollar bills and went to look at a K30 that was listed in the paper for $1650. It had been listed for two months. I offered $1200, seller said $1400, and it was sold, drove it home just a few minutes later.

If he'd only know that the bondoed creation he thought he ripped me off on was worth more in pieces than together. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif