Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Read if interested in 69-72 K5 bikini top

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I called Bestop at 800-845-3567 to see if they could give me dimensions for the Scout II bikini top and also asked what we could do to interest them in making a bikini top for the 69-72 Blazer.

The woman I spoke to said Bestop is actually considering making a bikini top for the 69-72 Blazer. She will get me the width of the Scout II top and she said she would be interested in a list of people who would be interested in a 69-72 Blazer bikini top to show the company the interest level.

If you are interested in a 69-72 Blazer bikini top, please e-mail me your <font color="red">name and the year </font> of your K5 to yukonjackk67@netscape.net

I will compile a list of names and get it to Bestop to see if we can show them there is a market for this top.

If there is a big enough market for a Scout II bikini top, surely there is a big enough market for a 69-72 Blazer bikini top!

2. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Sent an email. Let's hope it works this time /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm on for one too... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Email sent! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sent you an email. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Yukon Jack

20 e-mails so far!

7. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

e-mail sent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Would be nice (and make sense) if they made one with the same snap pattern as their full soft top, since that's what a lot of us already have.

P.S. be forwarned, the guys at Bestop told me two years ago they were working on a new "Supertop" for our rigs. Well...., we're waiting.....? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Yukon Jack

I hear you on being aware that this might not go anywhere fast but at least this shows them there is an interest. 36 names so far. What was the Supertop gonna be like compared to their other tops for our years?

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if we can get enough guys together, a bud of mine can do them...he redid my back seat and it came out great.I have the fast-track soft top so he has the pattern for anyone with that top. I'll talk to him about it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Yukon Jack

That would be awesome, especially given the fact that we have all seen how slow manufacturers can be in making a decision and actually putting something in production.

I am keeping all e-mails I have received so it would be very simple to see who would actually be ready to make a purchase. I know some people have indicated they would want the fastrac system, other's would want snaps as that is how their top is, and then others have said they would only be interested if it required no modifications. I think drilling has to be required to make it work, otherwise you couldn't keep the middle of the windshield area secured.

11. Yukon Jack

I just called Specialty Top Company (Kayline) and the representative told me they would not consider making a bikini top because there are so many different rollbars being used that they couldn't make a standard bikini that would work, where as some of the other vehicles they make bikini tops for have a standard roll bar. Bottom line, Specialty Top Company has no interest in discussing the issue.

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

got it...
    I'll talk to him and see what would be the min. he would like to work on to get them going and a cost... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Yukon Jack

Thanks TonyP. I now have 42 e-mails of interested people. Of course not everyone will turn out to be ready to buy now, but if I were to guess, I would say it would be more than half. The big problem will be mounting requests. Some people have replied that they are only interested in the bikini top if it mounts in a certain way. But, if this is a private individual rather than a big company making the bikini tops, he might be willing to work a little on having a couple different mounting options. A simple solution might be for him to have it all completed except for the windshield area on some of the tops. For people who need something different, they could easily get that finished at a local shop. Lots of options, but I think something can happen.

I know when I buy my soft top, it will be the brand and style you have. Looks like a good system.

14. dmcx72

dmcx72 Iron horses in thin air and thick.

Any progress on the 67-72 bikini? I'm new to the board and definitely interested.

15. Yukon Jack

I have 54 names of people interested right now. Getting new names every day. TonyP is checking with his friend to see his interest level. Sounds like he will likely be interested and hopefully the price will be good too. Given the fact that so many people have responded voicing a request on different attachment methods, I'm not so sure that one of the big companies would be able to fit our needs very well. I would assume a company like Bestop will be only willing to make one form of attachment. I'll update more as soon as I hear more from TonyP.

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I hope you make ground on this...people have tried before /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    If this does happen I am interested...for me if the front snaps were NOT installed then I could match the snap locations to my current soft top's snaps /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Someday I want a custom soft top made out of that canvis material similar to what Can-Bak uses. I figure a tonue(sp?) cover or baot cover shop can use my old Kayline top as a template to make the new one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.....then after the new top is made turn my current top into a bakini top.

Thanks YJ, keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Yukon Jack

I hear you on the Can-Bak material - that makes a great looking top. I will be in the market for a soft top before long. I sure am leaning towards the Fastrack - looks like a good bet.

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya and I think you can even get tinted plastic windows too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

haven't got my butt over to talk to him about it yet, will see if he's home tonight...I know he's up for it and he said the canvis material is what he would use. He makes boat covers and tops... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. Yukon Jack

No problem. BTW 57 names now!