Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Read this and give me insight...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You guys see anything wrong with mounting a shock with the top and bottoms mounted perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to eachother?-- ie. the top of the shock mounted in the stock position (north/south) and the bottom mounted facing front/rear (east/west)? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    This would be for a rear application. My initial thought is that it would bind up but not sure.

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

top /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You're saying that the "eyes" at each end of the shock would be pointing in different directions? They can only twist so much in their bushings. Otherwise, movement has to come from the eye rotating around its axis. If the movement that the shock has to do to allow the suspension to travel is not in the direction of that rotation, the shock will bind and try to break the welds on the shock or the shock mount.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

That's kinda what I was thinking. The bushings will only move so far and even if the other eye of the shock is on the right axis for the movement it will still reach a point beyond what that can move and break the shock. Guess I won't make this mount or I could modify the top to work with it to.