Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Readers rigs in 4Wheel & off road

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Aug 26, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i got my mag yesterday and I was reading the readers rides section. There is some guy with 2 grand cherokees and he said his worst legal violation is 168mph in a 65. NO
    F$%^&*# WAY! Maybe he meant the combines speed of both of them. He said he had a Shelby V8 in it but I doubt that too. I know grand cherokees are pretty fast for a truck or "SUV" but i think they will probably max out at 120-130. it amazes me how stupid people are. why waste a Shelby V8 on a grand cherokee when you could put it in something useful like a K5?

90K5

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, I don't think any ZJ (or other SUV) has the aerodynamics to pull 168 MPH. It is hard enough for Corvettes and Vipers to reach that kind of speed, aerodynamically and horsepower wise. Maybe it was a mis-print and they meant 168 K/MH (which is about 105MPH).
    I think the only way a Grand Cherokee would ever get to 168 MPH is if it fell out of a plane[​IMG]
    Rene

[​IMG]

3. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Yea, I read that too. Man that had to be one fast a$$ cop car to catch a vehicle doing 168mph!!!! Chances are, the cop that clocked him was probably either parked beside the road or traveling in the other direction. So he would have had to catch up to him startin at 0mph. That puts that cop well over 200mph to catch up to him!
    hehe

[​IMG]

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

If I recall right, there was an article in Car and Driver sometime in the last year, about the fastest SUV in existance. It was a tricked out Mercedes Benz ML. It's fastest was 155 too. My first thought when I read that 168 was that it was either a closing speed by a cop, or in KPH too. I had a buddy get a 180+ mph ticket by a cop in his 1996 V6 Camaro. Turns out the cop didn't understand closing speed, and the judge ended up explaining it to Officer Stupid. That and the fact that the governor on his car kicks in at 116 mph, kinda led to the case being dismissed and the officer looking stupid.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Was it Buttman ???</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I just traded even my 93 grand cherokee even for an 85 k-5 Blazer, It had the 318ci v-8 in it (only 15 hp. less than the 360) and I had my partner clock me in it, 125mph. max. with the K&N setup I probably could have squeezed out another 5 mph. top end (25 more horses) I never would have taken that glorified station wagon up to that speed again either. It was DANGEROUS to say the least. It probably would have fallen apart too, Well, it did that just sitting in the driveway. Why would you put a huge performance engine in it anyway with rear gears that will allow those sorts of highway speeds? I think he's full of it.

"who dares wins"

7. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Oh, and on it's best day my 97 crown- vic with all the "performance/police options" might get up to 128 MPH. Many are the times I have been humiliated by a crotch rocket or any half way decent car. I have yet to be outrun by any SUV. that's not running nitro-methane, or at least nitrous. "Central, Be advised I have a soccer-mom clocked at mach 1 in a grand cherokee".......................not!

"who dares wins"

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

At work we have clocked several of the "5.9 Limited" Grand Cherokees and they were only capable of around 120 or so. That guy would have to have some serious juice under the hood to pull off 168 in a Grand Cherokee!

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see the picture of the truck. My last car was a 97 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 in-line six, 2WD. It had a stock hieght and the most I got it up to was about 110, it was pretty stable, but there's no way it would have stayed on the ground at 170!! If this particular truck is slammed, with enough power, well maybe. But because it was spotted in 4Wheel and Off-Road, I doubt it was slammed. About the aerodynamics, a few years ago Hot Rod magazine got a stock bodied 93? Mustang to go over 200 mph. So with enough power and being able to keep it on the ground, it just might happen. Another thing, this guy claims he got ticketed for that, don't you get arrested for something like that????