Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reading the computer with a laptop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Apr 26, 2006.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have experience with programs, either free or bought? winALDL?

Im gonna be going on a roadtrip this summer (thread at a later time), and I want to be able to monitor/diagnose things involved with the computer while on the road. I did a little seaching around here, but I cant find anything dealing with more recent threads. Im sure there is more technology out there now, and I wanted to see if people are using any programs other than winALDL.

This will be for a 88 TBI, 7747 comp, regular ALDL link. I have access to a laptop, but it does not have a serial port. I read that winALDL did not work well with USB. Anyone have any further info on that one too?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could use the tunerpro pro version, it has a built in data stream, Data master is also very good but having the old 160 baud rate limits your choices, winALDL is probley your best choice, if your laptop does not have a serial port you could find a old cheap one to avoid the usb problems you don't need much of a computer at all to run winALDL

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say go with tunerpro. Mark Mansure(SP?) is a good guy from his posts on thirdgen. Saw a link on the diy prom forum with USB to serial adapters that work, so check that out.

You are limited with the 160 baud data transfer rate, no way around that with the '747 ECM.

Tunerpro vs. winALDL is only personal preference, but I think tunerpro's view options are better.

4. crometooth

crometooth Registered Member

I have used both winALDL and tunerpro, both are good, basic data readers. You can buy from Wal-Mart or radio shack a USB to serial adapter that should work but stay away from the Ultra cheap ones. Some people have had the cheap converters crash their computer.

Thirdgen.org has a lot of info on the 747 ECM, especially if you want to get into programming :cool:

A guy by the screen name of Rbob has also come out with an "upgrade" and conversion of the 747 ECM that is really cool. Do a search on theirdgen for "EBL" and you should find it. Amung other things it increases the "read" speed of the 747.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status