Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ready to buy a reman 700R4, any good-bad experience?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uglytruk, Jan 1, 2007.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Anybody buy from MAD DOG LOU? On eBay, he has a compelling ad... I'm ready to dump my money on a medium duty 700, Hate to buy the wrong one. Oh yeah, and don't tell me to go with the 400, it ain't happening. I want the 4th gear.. I wnat it, I want it! I WANT IT!!!!!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would go with Bow tie overdrive, it's a GM company and you have the company backing and warranty, the best I think.
    It has a lot of good feedback, do a search here and you will find out about the good and the bad.
    :D

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I bought a custom built TH350 off ebay from a guy with perfect feedback. When they put the front pump in he pinched the seal. So after yanking everything out and installing it I had a front seal leak. Ended up having to yank it back out, pull out the front pump and replace the seal.

The problem with eBay is both distance and warranty. If something goes wrong you are usually screwed unless the person lives close. Buy from a reputable company and you can send it back if there are problems.

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

BowTie o-drives answered my extensive email questions with a one liner. I'll post it later... I never go about things in a normal fashion...

5. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Here's their response... answer 1st, then my question...

Because of the use of the truck I would recommend the 4L80E over the 700R4.It is computer controlled and will need a stand alone controller but wouldalso be the only thing we offer that would hold up to the job you are tryingto accomplish.-----

Original Message-----From: Andrew Golt [mailto:andrewcouchst@netzero.net] Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 8:22 AMTo: Bowtie OverdrivesSubject: 700 into 3/4 ton 87 Sub 6.2 with iron 203 full time trans case?

I've got an '87 Sub 6.2 diesel that only came with the TH400 and 4.10 gears.I want to put in a 700R4, but want the use of FULL TIME four wheel drive,like GM offered until '79. I have a cast iron 203 Tranfer case, andsomewhere saw an output shaft(adapted) for the 700. Maybe Transmissionhead.com? This is a snow plow truck, only driven by me, and Imight put in a 6.5 with a Banks Turbo. I need the full time TC because it has the center differential, so I canplow snow, then drive on dry roads, then snow, etc. I'm not interested in switching back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel drive. I've already installed locking hubs, and also think I have to use a TC part from MileMarker to disengage the front driveshaft in the summer. Complicated? Can you help?Thanks, Andrew Golt, Plattsburgh, NY

6. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

I even made a video of my dilema, real or imagined, yesterday, it'll be on youtube.com soon... keep watching...

7. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Didn't know BTOdrives was a GM or connected company... Hmmmm???

8. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Put a Factory GM one in mine about 4 months ago .... 3 years and 100k mile nation wide warranty and you dont have to worry about getting your hands dirty on it for a long time ! Was only about $1200.00 :D

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i put a bowtieoverdrives stage II 700 in mine about 6 months ago. EXCELLENT customer service. high quality transmission, shifts very nice. i'm happy. it did take about a month to get it though.

10. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a TCI Maximizer 700R4 from Summit racing.It is built for 4x4s and runs $1399.My trans still shifts pretty good with 120,000 miles on it but to get one rebuilt around here will cost big $$$ anyway.I will just sell my old trans when I get the new one.:D

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

When you put it this way, I would only recomend the 4l80E.
    You didn't give them any room for error. :haha:
    Turbo Diesel, plowing, and full time 4x4 in the snow. Too much to ask from a 700 and they warranty their products so if they know they are setup for failiure they won't do it.
    :D

12. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I bought a Mad Dog Lou second hand but it had never been installed. Still hasn't so I can't give any personal comments.

I did have someone tell me they got one that was, well, fraudulent. It wasn't built right or to the spec sheet. The explanation was he had a rush of orders and subbed some to another shop. The buyer got all his money back and went elsewhere.

This is all second hand info but I can tell you I did buy this tranny because of seeing his pitch on eBay.

13. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

I'm leaning towards MAD DOG LOU from Tampa Florida. Slick ad on Ebay, $1100 with hydraulic lock-up TC, I supply Advace Adapters output shaft, for NP203. $1100, inc torque, SH, no core. Hmmmmm????
    Only burned up 1 trans, ''66 Skylark 2 speed Super Turbine. Drove it without enuf oil, my bad. Oh yeah, the '67 Pontiac 283 PG, too many high RPM neutral starts! The other Poncho (gold) had a 409! The yellow 442 was 400-350 TH400 3.08's. sorry for the quality, look hard... Pix taken 1979... wasn't so long ago???
    I'll be gentle, I promise...

11 18 06  Old 80 s Photo Album 001.jpg

11 18 06  Old 80 s Photo Album 006.jpg

11 18 06  Old 80 s Photo Album 004.jpg

14. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

So just bought this redneck -mobile, and it HAD a 700R4 with the 6.2. Now 350 TH400 (99% sure) 205, etra bid diff w/bolt on pinion thingy. 'spossed to run well, but parts truck in my book. 1st one, (83) I've seen with 3/4-700 combo, riight from the tag in da glove box, but forgot camera... add pix to-morrow...

1 4 07  Weld Sub Mount  Dark Cherry Pearl 001.jpg

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You may want to look into a 700Raptor trans also. There high end stuff is pricey, but when you can safely warranty a 700r that will pull 6000lbs in overdrive, you must be doing something right to it.

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Good luck trying to get them to actually honor their "warranty". Do a search on "Craptor" on this site. :(

17. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Craptor, huh? Hmmmm???? Sounds serious...

18. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Called TCI in Tennessee today...

Spoke to Andre, he quotes $2100, double Mad Dog. What am I missing? An unquestionably reputable shop (TCI) gets $2g's for their 700, and others sell the same thing, (or is it? :confused: ) for 1/2 price. Hmmm??? Even MDLou's top of the line is $1500. More question's than answers...
    I guess I'll calll him tomorrow... Maybe cheapy converter, that's what broke on CRAPTOR...

19. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

20. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Yup, check back a few pages, their answer was really short. Prob busy, didn't want to waste time, recommended 4LE80, but takes compooper, driving old rig to keep it simple...