Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ready to start.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inthewoods, Nov 15, 2003.

1. inthewoods

inthewoods Newbie

Hello,

Okay, I'm really not very knowledgable about these things, so I need some help. I have a '91 K-5, great shape and runs good. I plan on begining some modifications in 2004, but I have no clue what to do first or who to go to.

I need a new front drive shaft, and sometimes it feels like the rear diff is jamming into position. Not to mention an idling problem that Bozarth Chevy cannot figure out.

Any way, I'm really not into extreme off-roading. I don't care to participate in the boulder humping (no insult intended) activities some people enjoy. However, I do want my truck to be more versital and stronger.

It is a totally stock '91, and I'm hoping to get some tips on what to look for and who does good work.

My basic plan is to make it mud worthy with a bit of climbing ability. I have been looking at tires, keeping in mind this truck is also my main transportation, but there aren't that many that seem all that different. I'll obviously need a lift but not sure how much. Pitiful, huh?

Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Doug

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

hey..welcome!

first I would start with a nice set of bds springs, some 33 inch tires of choice "bfg's or mtr's", a a set of rock crawler rims, this in my opinion is a nice entry level set up and affordable as well. Wheel it for a while and let time determin if you want to step it up or upgrade, going from stock to 4 inches is a sizable change and you can still kep the trucks road manners as well.

As for the 1/2 ton axels..dont invest money untill you are shure about where you want to go with your truck, you may decide after some time on here or after wheeling that you want to make some big changes such as 3/4 ton front 1 ton rear.

The reason I said to go with the rockcrawler rims "50 to 60 bucks each" is incase you decide to swap axels at a later date, I like black ones with the round holes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif this way you didn't waste a thousand bucks for six lug rims /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

As for d-shafts....don't cheap out here!

there ya go, this set up leaves room for up grades and should get ya out of the woods /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    1) Mechanical stuff: Jerry Viola over at Master Tech in Wheat Ridge has the best and fairest garage in town. Super guy with great ability. Check him out...

2) Tires: Not alot of mud here in Colorado /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif For a reasonable tire at a good price, check out the Phantom AT from Discount. Go to the Discount on 84th Ave Westy/Thornton and ask for Damien Swahn, he'll take good care of ya!

3) Lift: For all of your lift questions, check out Off Road Designs. I'd go 2 or 3 inches suspension lift to clear 33's. HOWEVER: This K5 thing is a disease, and it gets progressively worse every day. 2 inches and 33's will work for a little while, but then you'll start wanting more, maybe an ORD shackle-flip, 35's (37's even!), lockers, bumpers, tube cage, 1-ton axles, half-doors... It never stops, and there is NO cure.

Good luck
    PS: fill out your profile a little more in detail. Helps us with what you need, where you are, etc. I assumed that Bozarth is only a Colorado store...

John /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

also in the rear may be your gov-lock going out if ya have one, a 3/4 ton swap is cheaper than rebuilding those 10 bolt axles...ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to CK5, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Before you look at bigger tires and lifts you really need to figure out your gearing. It may be a lot cheaper to upgrade to bigger axles that are already properly geared then swap in gears into your existing axles.

What size gears are you presently running?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1 message and the guy is orange. holy crap thats awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ok, here goes my advice on the issues I can actually talk about intelligently...

1) if the rear axle has problems, start looking for a 1-ton rear axle to replace it with. They are called a "corporate full floating 14-bolt" aka ff14b. This axle is not only incredibly strong, but also incredibly cheap, common, and very easy to find used at yards or on offroad www sites for $200 or less. Having a shop rebuild anything in your rear 10bolt is gonna cost more than $200, and the ff14b is a WAY better axle. The guys over at pirate have compiled a "ff14b bible" which is encyclopedic enough that even a shade tree mechanic can do most of their own work on the axle...

ff14b bible

these axles have hubs for 8-lug rims, but our friends over at echobit make a conversion spacer so you could still use your stock 6 lug rims if you wanted to save $ by doing so.

8-lug to 6-lug conversion spacers

these cost a lil bit, but are cheaper and less of a hassle than converting the front to 8-lug and buying 4 new rims.

anyway, cant stress enough how good of an upgrade the ff14b is... it is great peace of mind to know that no matter what happens on the trail your rear axle will be able to get ya home. If ya can find an axle from under a 1-ton chevy van, they are bolt-in swaps. Pretty sure with most other applications that you'll need to move the spring perches a little bit. Nothing that a decent welder (friend from ck5?) or a welding shop cant do for ya.

tires: if you are going to see lots of street miles, but also use the rig in mud, get Goodyear MT/R tires. Shop around, these can be had at VERY good prices sometimes (goodyear has sales/discounts on occassion) and are the best mud tires you can get short of Boggers or TSLs.

suspension:

plan A, for the K5'er that will NEVER want to go bigger than 33/35" tires. 2.5" BDS springs for the front from JDsoffroad, and a 2.5" shackle flip from ORD for the rear. Doetsch Tech shocks like the 8000 series are good shocks...DT8000.

plan B, for the guy who will eventually go bigger than 35". 4 or 6" BDS front springs, 4" ORD shackle flip in the rear + a 1" ORD zero rate. X-over steering from rockstomper etc.

hope it helps a lil. there is a TON of buildup info available on ck5 that can be found via forum searches.

j