Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Real bad noise

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Jun 14, 2002.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I got my cb and antenna installed and am receiving with a lot of noise, almost to a point of uselessness. I haven't tuned the antenna yet, but was expecting to at least be able to receive with some measure of clarity.

One potential problem is the non-tuned antenna, but others may be the mirror-mounted antenna which is potentially not grounded (this I will rectify).

Another potential issue is the cigarette lighter adaptor, should I run directly to the battery?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is the noise bad all the time ??? Right now we are in the 11 year cycle. Due to sunspots, daytime receptition is very poor on 11 meter. Check it a couple hours after dark. I've always ran my power wire to a non-switchable sorce at the fuce box with the shortest possible ground. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. TwoCrowsDesign

Thanks for the response.

I haven't considered sunspot activity, I'll check it out at night and see how she acts.

Thanks,

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Your welcome, hope the information helps.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is this with or without the engine running? Your gonna get a lot of engine noise when you get power through the cig. lighter. I would tune the antenna and connect the CB directly to the battery with a short ground to the dash, firewall etc. Also, are you running a high performance ignition(ie MSD, Jacobs, 100k volt coil etc)?

6. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I would run both positive and negative power wires directly to the battery. Also ground the radio chassis (seperate from regular power ground) if it's not mounted to a metal surface. Some will tell you differently but then again that always happens...

Tune the antenna before transmitting... SWR's that are too high could harm the radio as well as decrease transmit performance...

There is quite a bit of QRN (natural interference, static, etc) during the daytime. Range is diminished. Although the skip cycle is coming to an end (has already peaked and is beginning to go down), so by 2005 or 2006 you should hear locally very well...

If you unplug the antenna (don't xmit like this by the way) does the noise go away? If the noise does not go away with antenna unplugged, then it's a pretty safe bet that the noise is coming in through the power wires or is a problem with the radio first. Reroute wires/wire to battery (or try a filter as some people like to really push) first before looking into radio problem more.

If the noise goes away without antenna, then you'll need to track down what is emitting RFI and filter, ground, or isolate it... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif www.wilsonantenna.com or www.wilsonantennas.com in their support/tech support section has instructions as to how to make an RF sniffer to help you track down the cause of your RFI and eliminate it... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you have any stereo amps in the vehicle be sure to keep the stereo turned off when the cb is in use. Mine raises my swr be 2.5 when it is turned on.

8. TwoCrowsDesign

Thanks, that sounds like advice grounded in experience - the best kind. Appreciate the help, I'll keep folks posted on what worked out.