Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Real basic question: TBI fuel pressure gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure at the inlet on my TBI. I have an adapter to fit the AN-6 line, and the gauge fits into the adapter with a smaller tapered pipe thread. My question: Should I put some thread tape or sealer on this pipe thread? Is there a special kind for this application where it'll be exposed to gas?

The gauge (I got the 0-30 PSI version):
    [​IMG]

The adapter:
    [​IMG]

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

All of the throttle bodies I've seen have either o-ring or flared type fittings, for these no sealant is needed because the threads are not exposed to the fuel.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd put PTFE tape or similar on the guage threads. The others, as has been said, should seal be o ring or taper seat fitting as opposed to a taper thread like the gauge.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

NEVER use teflon tape on your fuel system. If you ever take it apart again, the little bits of shredded tape then have a shot at clogging up your fuel injectors. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Thread sealants are for use with pipe threads. A compression fitting doesn't need it (and it won't help even if you use it). /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Did you get a fuel pressure gauge isolator with your setup? It mounts inline with the fuel line to the gauge and prevents fuel from entering the passenger compartment. You do NOT want a pressurized gas line inside the cabin. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if your gauge is like mine, it is regular pipe threads, yes its dumb that its not a flare, but on the threads of the gauge, you need sealer, i didnt and mine leaked, sealer and dont leak. Yes you will need a sealer that can come in contact w/ gasoline. The makes of loc-tite have one. Go to Autozone(or somewhere) and go to loctite area, its a white tube same size as loctite tubes, and i THINK the number is 567 but i am not sure, just read the package. The actual tube doesnt say oil/gasoline safe, but the package does.

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I'll look for the loctite stuff.

I'm planning to just leave the gauge under the hood near the throttle body for troubleshooting or whatever, I'm not running it into the passenger compartment. The isolators look like the slick ticket for routing it inside though.