Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Real easy question to answer such an idiot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Sep 11, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Im working on my truck right now an discovered that i have my wires on wrong... the question is where does the #1 sparkplug wire go on the cap is it the one after where everything plugs into the hei or is it the second one after where the stuff plugs in that is all i need to know i pulled out the distributor a bunch of times cause i thought it was a tooth off and now i have to do it again to put it at the right number 1 SP wire :doah:
    its a 350

2. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

make me an offer on my k5

Here is the deal... I removed my Distributor no reference marks or anything so i began to put it back on the way i did it was

aligned the timing mark to 0 mark dropped the distributor in so the rotor is pointing to the number one spark plug wire so its all good i thought i went to turn it over got nothing tried wiggling it around while starting got nothing
    put it on 0 degrees again took the cap off and it was pointing to the firewall so i rotated the crank 360* and it was pointing to where it should be then i tested for spark i am getting spark so wtf is the mf problem!!! :angry1: :1zhelp: help

the firing order i got from the book says the hei firing order and i have that right

i might take offers for a 73 k5 with top all guages work has a new tranny and carb make me an offer

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

is it 180 deg out??

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I dont know how do i tell and if it is how do i fix this??

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have no idea where your crank is, pull drivers side valve cover pull #1 spark plug. Turn engine over by hand or slow, watch rocker arms and follow the sequence intake, compression, power, exhuast. After intake stroke when both rocker arms aren't moving you should be able to put somthing in the spark plug hole and feel the top of the piston. Then you should be able to look at the balancer and see where your mark is, then pull the cap and the roter should be pointing at the #1 wire. If its not then fix it. A chevy moter will run 180` out runs like crap, but it will run, at least with the cam 180` out, if you haven't touched the cam then don't worry about that.

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I just got back from working on it and this is very wierd it was at TDC the wires are correct order and the rotor points to the number one
    when i put it on the zero mark on the timing it is tdc and im getting spark as far as it not starting im not sure think it may be the control module because thats the only thing that I can think of
    I also used the method with the number one spark plug blowing my finger away and then checking the timing marks again and it was just after 0 so it has to be right there because i backed iy up to zero????
    when i hold down the pedal to the floor and try to start it it sputters like it want to run after about 3-5 seconds of cranking maybe im just a retard and missing something :doah: ive been searching all over the net here and books and am getting nowhere fast

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I think it's 180 out. Mine did the same thing....actually, every motor I have done (5) has been 180 out even though the timing marks and things looked correct. Pull the distributor and rotate the rotor 180 degrees and put it back in. Maybe even leave the clamp a little loose so you can turn it while somebody cranks.

8. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Now I got a similar question... I rebuilt my engine, but haven't gotten to the point of starting it yet. I made the marks for the #1 distributor point on the dist and the intake manifold, but in the long process of cleaning parts and such, the mark on the distributor base is no longer there.

So here's what I did... I got #1 in compression TDC and inserted the distributor. I basically got the rotor pointing close to where I though it was before. It's pointing at about 6:30 o'clock if looking from the top and the firewall is 12 o'clock. I then rotated the distributor base (if that's what you call it) so I could get the best fit in the vehicle, with the rotor pointing at an arbitrary distributor point. Using that point as #1, I hooked up the plug wires in firing order around the cap.

I guess my question is if I did all of that, does it really matter which point on the distributor cap is #1? I don't think this is a problem, but I wanna make sure before I try and start it this weekend.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

As long as the rotor is pointing to a point on your distributor that you designate as number one and you're at tdc for the number one cylinder and you install your wiring rotation properly it should work.

Worked for me anyway. I think my number one spot on the distributor points straight forward.

10. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I had already pulled the valve cover off and left it off for a while now for checking tdc..

for some reason it fired up today with no problem and I set the timing to 12* I didnt change anything from the last time either

it is really wierd im telling you this thing doesnt like me there was something funky going on

its running ok sputters a lil when starting out gotta feather it until it gets going
    i think i have to gap my plugs to 45 or something because of the hei.

im thinking cam and plug gap caused it not to start easy but it starts everytime no with little effort

thanks for everyones help

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How rich is it running and check your plugs they probally are fouled or really need to be cleaned.