Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Real hard starting, rough idle till warm.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Oct 22, 2002.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Yesterday morning, and today when I tried to start my truck I got it started, but it idled rough, real rough like it had a few misses. It also blew smoke, kinda white, kinda blue, not real sure. Yesderday it ran normal after a few minutes, but today it died and didn't want to start back up. It's been colder these past few mornings. I got a new 350, stock ignition and carb, but it's not excactly tuned (carb is tempermental).

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Choke either out of adjustment or somthing is not set up correctly.
    Help us help you and throw us a bone. My mind reading skills are in the crapper today. What do you have carb wise?

3. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Sorry, it's early and cold and I hadn't had any coffee or beer. I have a stock 4 barrel QuadraJet, it not the best but it's always worked, fuel/air mix is more than likely off. Could be timing too, it backfires on occasion. Just a little while ago I got it started, let it run for a few minutes and it all of a sudden ran normal.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ Grim. Sounds an awful lot like the choke problem I experienced. Grim hit the mark.

John

5. Grim-Reaper

next time it's good and cold (hans't run for 2 hours) try resetting the choke.
    On the passenger side is a cover with three screws holding it on and a plug with a single wire going to it. Loosen those three screws and hold the throttle about a 1/4 open. Turn the cover clockwise till the Choke plate just closes. Tighten the three screws. Fire it up and see how it does.
    Your choke is electric. In about 5 minutes the choke should be just about completly open. If not then check for 12v at the choke wire with the engine running. There is a oil pressure swtich inline and if the engine is off then the choke will have no power. No 12v when running then check fuse marked Choke in the fuse box.
    If you have 12 volts with the engine running then the choke element might be bad if the choke fails to open in about 5 minutes.

6. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I'll certainly give that a try Grim, I hope that's what it is. Never had choke problems, but I did do a rebuild of the sucker this summer. Try as I might to follow directions that might not have been set right.

7. Grim-Reaper

You symptoms really sound like the choke is not functioning at all. You can get away with that when it's warm but once the temps get down below 60 you can forget it. most engines will be real pistol to get fired up without a choke.
    If when you turn this dial it doesn't move the choke then the hook on the choke may not have engaged the arm in the choke housing.

8. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I agree, in cold weather and you live in Colorado, it can be a real pain to get the thing running with a messed up choke. Mine isnt electric but I would just give it three or four pumps before starting and it should start right up and just keep slight pressure on the throttle to keep it running until it warms up.

9. K-5 Guy

K-5 Guy Registered Member

I just had the same problem with my 86, i used a can of carb cleaner and spayed the outside of the carb very good and also started the truck up and sprayed quit a bit down the carb. It helped quite a bit i could see alot of stuff comming out of the tailpipes it now starts and runs much better, my guess is your carb is probably gummed up some where.Give it a try the can of carb cleaner only cost me $3 bucks.
    Good luck
    Mike....