Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Real heavy duty shelving (like home depot)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I need to find shelving like the one home depot uses. They apparently dont sell the shelves they use themselves.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

McMaster Carr has some stuff that holds 3000lbs.

McMaster

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

alot of the industrial supply houses sell heavy duty racks. yes mc master carr is probably your bet for new stuff. you could shop around for used industrial shelving.

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Handling Systems carries this kind of shelving (called pallet reacks or power racks by some) this stuff is not cheap though, but it is tough. try public work auctions for used racks, as long as they aren't bent, they don't wear out. you may find it at grainger also, or if you are sneeky they leave allot of extra behind home depot/costo/lowes/etc....

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Too bad you aren't close to Idaho :doah: the local scrap yard has piles of these you just won't need the plywood for the shelves. And the going price is $0.25 per pound.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

same here--tons of pallet racks!

I see tons of pallet racks and shelving get scrapped every day I go to the scrapyards nearby!..I got several racks from my brother who works at a warehouse..they toss out tons of them,if they dont all "match" and interchange with each other they scrap them!..or sometimes a few get bent up,so they decide to replace a lot of them at once..(we used several "beams" off them to build a beavertail ramp body on a ford cube van,to use as a car hauler!)..too bad your not closer,there is an ad in the local paper for "free pallet racks and factory shelves" in the classifieds..

.I'd go to an industrial park,or factory and see if any are outside collecting weeds-I have gotten many that way before--even scored 3 large metal roof trusses at one place,and pallet racks that were brand new--they ordered too many,and they left them outside to rust!..I used to get pallets at that place for free firewood,and the guy said "if you want that scrap metal,you can take that too! :D --my friend used them to build a garage ,and he hung a chain falls from them with a trolley.... :crazy:

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

wish i was on that side of the country, in AZ i have been looking for a few months for a good used set for my buisness. you guys are lucky

8. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Do you have Mac's hardware down there at all? As far as I know it is a nationwide chain. My dad picked up a bunch of used pellet racks for his business from them, they get them from closed military bases i think. You could also check govliquidations.com, just type in Arizona in the search on the homepage and it will bring up everything that is up for auction in your state.

9. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

i will check it out, thanks