Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Real quick question:

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91gmcjimmyCH_IL, Apr 15, 2002.

1. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

How do you seperate the two halves on a driveshaft. the kind that has splines. is this called a slip shaft? I have to take my tom woods driveshaft apart and I have no idea what is involved. Thanks

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Remove the clips holding the cups in and then take a press and press the cups out, or take an old socket and a hammer and hammer them out. I'm assuming your not going to reuse the ujoint? If you are then just be very careful.

3. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

I don't need to take the u-joints out, I want to know how to pull the two halves of the driveshaft apart. the kind of driveshaft I have has splines that the shaft slips on to expand and contract. this is located near the pinion. OK, this will let you know what kind of driveshaft I have; I have a fixed output on the transfer case. How do you pull them apart?

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

First make an alignment mark on the shaft so when you sepperate it, you can re-assemble it with the splines matched up again (very important for balance). There is either a screw on or crimp on cap on the compression yolk side of the shaft which is a seal to keep contaminants out and grease in which is smaller than the splines on the main shaft. You'll have to screw or slide this off the yolk at which point the it will just slide off the shaft leaving the seal there.

5. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

Thank you very much.